Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Snow Day

Today the girls and I are house-bound, thanks to the raging snowstorm outside.  No school, no swim lessons, and no work for the day.  Being home with the kids has given me plenty of opportunity to record amusing snippets of conversation.  Here are a few of the best:

MADELEINE: Mom?  Do you think "in-LAW" means just TWO sisters?  Because Twilight Sparkle thinks that.
ME: Well, "in-law" means, like, because Daddy is married to ME, Auntie Shannon and Auntie Caitlyn are his sisters-in-law.  They're not his sisters that he grew up with, but they're his sisters through marriage to me.
MADELEINE: (thoughtful) And Mom?  How about YOU?  Are YOU married to anyone?

My. God.  She is a genius.

The kid who doesn't know who I'm married to can alternatively pull out the big vocab words during her pretend play:

MADELEINE: (with her Wow! Car figurine) I'm going HOME!  Because I feel SELF-CONSCIOUS.

Meanwhile, Julia has been on a cleaning streak over at the play kitchen, unearthing some long-missing toys and trinkets from underneath the play stove.

JULIA: Cleaning is amazing sometimes, Madeleine, let me tell you.  But I want YOU to figure that out for YOURSELF.
MADELEINE: How did you find all that STUFF?
JULIA: (sighing) Well, I guess I'm amazing, Madeleine.

A few moments later...

JULIA: (holding up the play-soap dispenser) Hey Mommy! I finally found the SOAP that goes with the play kitchen!
ME: Oh, wow!  That soap has been missing for a long time.
MADELEINE: (wisely) We haven't had it for ONE HUNDRED years!
JULIA: (scathing) We wouldn't be ALIVE, Madeleine.


Now, of course, they have moved on from cleaning to making messes, having just raided the dress-up bin in order to play "Harry Potter."

Madeleine is being Ginny, though I think her impish look makes her more of a Fred or a George, or maybe Peeves the ghost:






And Julia is, predictably, Hermione, though she's not wearing her Gryffindor costume.  Instead, she is dressed up as Hermione at the Yule Ball.  Take a look at these snazzy witches!:






Expecto Patroooooonum!

No comments:

Post a Comment