Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Meet Ganet

Julia continues on her American Girl kick, and this time, she has not only started a new American Girl novel, but she has created a WHOLE series of historical characters.  On the inside book cover, she lists them, just as all the American Girl books do:


1776: Ganet (don't be confused by the spelling; this is pronounced "Janet.")
1905: Camila
1859: Sandi (that's a really authentic 1859-ish name, if you ask me!)
1825: Terisa

Julia was so excited about this set of American Girl characters that she came up to show it to me as I was getting dressed this morning.  "Mom?" she asked me.  "So, which American girl do you think you'll LIKE the best?" 

It's kinda hard for me to tell just based on their names, eras, and portraits.  They all kind of look like horses to me.  I took a gamble and told her I think I'll like Ganet best.

Which is good, because the first book Julia has started is:

Meet Ganet

(JULIA: Mom?  I made Ganet live in 1776, the YEAR after Felicity, because now that I read Felicity, I kind of, like, KNOW how they talked and what it was like back then.  Like, when I wrote my first American Girl book, I didn't know that they said "aye" and "tis" back then, but NOW I know.)


True to the actual American Girl books, Julia included a "cast & characters" page before the story begins, so we can learn more about Ganet and her family.


Family: Papa, Mom, Ganet, Madisin  (again, totally authentic name for the time period, right??), Jack

Friends: Seima, Gracie, Marrian, Nikel

I'm still trying to figure out whether Nikel is a dolphin, a dog, or a horse.


The story of Ganet looks promising so far, even though Julia is only a few pages in. 

Pg. 1:





Chapter 1.  Cleining Day

"Ganet Milyer was in her tree hose with Seima the cat.  It was cleining day.  'No ONE will find me now' she wisperd lodly.  On cleining day she had to do all her chores.  She did not like to do her chore's so she had made a tree hose.  This made it so no wone wold find her."

Did Ganet *just* make the tree hose right then?  If so, that was some fast handiwork!  And it's awfully sneaky of her to be hiding out instead of doing her chore's.  I mean, no ONE really likes cleining, but we all gotta chip in, right?


Pg. 2:


"Ganet wher are you?'  It was Ganets sister Madisin.  'Ganet, Mama wants you,' she yelld.  Ganet thoht Madisin tolk thig's to suiruly."

Yeah, suiruly, what's UP with you, Madisin?  Stop tolking thig's so suiruly!  Let Ganet hide away in her tree hose for a bit.  After all, she JUST built it.  Instead of expending her energy cleining, she chose to build a tree hose to be lazy in.


Pg. 3:
"I'll tell Mama Ganet,' so Ganet had no chiose but to go with Madisin.  'Wewe wer you?' she demanded.  (JULIA: Mom?  Did you know I wrote "wewe" on PURPOSE, because Madisin is LITTLE and she says "where" like "wewe?")  'I was piking appel's,' she said.  Mama was stiring porig.  'Ganet plese pick some appels,' 'I alredy did Mama,' said Ganet."

O.M.G.  Is Ganet lying to her Mama?  Poor Mama, working so hard stiring porig, while Ganet was just out chillaxin' in her tree hose.  Suiruly, Ganet, give your Mama some respect here!

Unfortunately, it was time to head off to school so Julia had to stop her story there, but she is sure to continue once she gets home this afternoon.  I can't wait to hear more about Ganet and her life in 1776, and I especially can't wait to read about people saying "aye" and "tis!"  Stay tuned!






2 comments: