Saturday, December 31, 2011

Abstract-random

I sometimes wish I could get inside Madeleine's brain and understand the thought processes behind some of her comments. Like when I went into her room early this morning to see what she was crying about, only to have her tell me over and over again, "I just need my top." Despite my best attempts, I was unable to produce whatever "top" she imagined she needed, but I was able to give her binky and Cowie and urge her to go back to sleep.

Sometimes, I think I can understand the thought process that led her to say something seemingly random, although it doesn't render her comment any less humorous or unexpected. Yesterday while we were all in the car together, Julia told me how much she loves the various ways Madeleine has pronounced "Julia" over the years, from "Jou-wee" to "Juchie" to the current "Juwia." I thought that perhaps if I prompted Madeleine with a question, I could get her to put a smile on her sister's face by responding, "Juwia!" Instead, Julia got a smile on her face for an entirely different reason.

ME: Madeleine, what's your sister's name?
MADELEINE: Um, he's FIVE!

Yeah. No. That's the answer to a different question.

Last night, as I put Madeleine to bed, I asked her about our family trip to the Needham Bowlaway, which she had seemed to enjoy when she wasn't having a melt-down over needing to wait her turn. Obviously the waiting of turns was still weighing heavily on her mind when I asked her about bowling.

ME: Madeleine, did you have fun bowling?
MADELEINE: Yes, it's my OWN turn. It's Juwia's turn, and Daddy's turn, and Mommy's turn, and it's my OWN turn.
ME: Yeah, it was fun, wasn't it? Well, tomorrow is New Year's Eve, so we're going to go do MORE fun things!
MADELEINE: Yeah, SANTA'S COMING! He going to bring me PRESENTS!
ME: Well, Santa's not coming tomorrow. Tomorrow's not Christmas, honey.
MADELEINE: (wisely) Yeah, it's not Christmas. Santa's not coming! He's not bringing me presents! Yeah, it's NOT Christmas.

Glad to know she's got things straight.

And then of course, there was her request today, after she got her face painted at one of the New Year's Needham events we went to.

ME: Madeleine, do you want to see what your face looks like? (showing her the picture I had just taken.) Do you see that heart on your cheek? Doesn't it look so cute?
MADELEINE: Mommy? I want to get my NOSE painted?



Maybe she thought that if she had her nose painted red, she could get Santa's attention and convince him to come bring her presents tonight after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment