Thursday, January 22, 2015

Swim and Sickness

Though I've posted a lot about Julia's swimming this winter, I will note that Madeleine has been making strides herself in her swim lessons.  I finally got a video of her today as she worked on her front crawl.  She's the swimmer on the left side of the screen, making a bunch of panting noises as she returns to the wall:




While the girls are getting plenty of exercise with their swimming, I have spent most of the day in bed with a fever and cough.  When I emerged after hours of isolation to join the family at the dinner table, the kids had some completely non-sensical things to say to me.

BOTH GIRLS: Mommy! (coming towards me)
ME: Don't touch me, girls.  I'll all germy and I don't want to get you sick.
JULIA: But what if we WANT to touch you?
ME: Honey, I think I have the flu or something, so please don't come near my germs.
JULIA: Well Mommy?  You don't LOOK like someone who has the flu.  Mommy?  What does someone who has the flu LOOK like??

A few minutes later, as Madeleine gazed at me from across the table, she apparently saw something menacing in my sick-as-a-dog expression.

MADELEINE: Mama?  Why do I feel like you're going to KICK me and Julia??

Yes, that's exactly what I'm thinking of doing.  Seeing as a) I hardly have the energy to sit upright at the table, and b) I am holding off hugging my beloved children in order to prevent passing my germs along to them, the logical conclusion is most certainly that I'm about to kick them.  Madeleine is spot-on once again.

I guess I finally got the point across about my germs, because Madeleine went from one extreme to the other in terms of wanting to touch me.

MADELEINE: Mama?  What if you're still sick in the morning and you have even MORE germs?  Then I won't even be able to come out of my ROOM.

All right.  Quarantine for everybody.  That's the answer, for sure.

Sigh.  Hoping that I have not infected anyone else in the family and that I am soon on the mend!

2 comments:

  1. I can't even stand how adorable the front crawl video is. It makes me want to kill myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow, it's just not human to not touch a Mommy. Even when she is sick. Get well soon dear daughter and here' a hug!


    ReplyDelete