Monday, January 19, 2015

Family Weekend

The long weekend allowed for some much-needed Rowe family togetherness.  Yesterday we had a family movie afternoon, complete with the lights out and popcorn.  We watched one of my favorite movies, "A Mighty Wind," which Julia had seen years ago but doesn't remember.  We've been listening to the soundtrack in the car lately, which made the kids curious about the back story, so we thought we'd show them the movie so they could better understand. 

Madeleine seemed largely oblivious to the story line and the humor, but Julia LOVED it.  She couldn't stop talking about the movie all night, and today she begged to watch it again.

This is how deeply influenced Julia was by the movie: she is now thinking about the "Mighty Wind" characters while she gallops.  So long, Mintz family!  There's a new group of people to fantasize about while galloping back and forth through the living room! 

Madeleine hasn't been nearly as obsessed, although she did try and tell me which of her characters was her favorite.  The CLUMPY one.  With orangish-brownish hair.  Who has a clumpy face.

Turns out she was referring to Michael McKean, who, at least in my opinion, has a face of completely normal, not excessive, amounts of clumpitude:







Meanwhile, in other family togetherness news, we had a game of family bowling this evening, during which BOTH children completely kicked my butt. 

Partway through our first game, Madeleine suddenly became wise to the fact that we were playing as a family.

MADELEINE: Hey!  Our whole FAMILY is playing bowling!
ME: I know.  That's why I asked if everyone wanted to play family bowling.
MADELEINE: But why is it "family bowling?"
ME: Madeleine.  You just pointed it out yourself.  The whole family is playing.  That's why it's family bowling.
MADELEINE: (perplexed) Well, not the WHOLE family.

ME: Well, it's the Rowe family.  Auntie Shannon's not playing, but she isn't part of the Rowe family.
MADELEINE: Yeah.  Auntie Shannon is from the ELF family.  But...she lives with us.  Because...she doesn't HAVE a home.

As we lay in bed this evening, Madeleine became transfixed on the lyrics to one of the songs from "A Mighty Wind"; specifically, she wanted to understand what a "putt of gold" means.  After I explained that it's actually a "pot" of gold, and it refers to the myth of a leprechaun at the end of a rainbow, ready to bestow a pot of gold upon anyone who can follow him to the end, I then told her how in the song she was referring to, there is a kiss at the end of the rainbow instead, "more precious than a pot of gold."

ME: I think I would like a kiss from someone who I love way more than a pot of gold any day.
MADELEINE: Yeah.  Because I love my whole family WAY WAY more than a pot of gold. 
ME: I do too!
MADELEINE: Yeah.  I love you, and Daddy, and ESPECIALLY Julia.
ME: I'm glad that you love your sister so much. 
MADELEINE: Yeah.  I love Julia the BEST!  Then you.  Then Daddy.  Then Auntie Shannon.

Well, she just doesn't sugar coat anything, does she?  I guess I'm honored to have been rated second-best.  Don't feel bad that you're bottom billing, Auntie Shannon.  It's probably just because you're not part of the Rowe family and you don't have a home.

1 comment: