Friday, January 2, 2015

Julia Starts Another Book

It's no secret that Julia becomes heavily influenced and inspired by whatever book she is currently reading.  This inspiration usually results in the writing of a new book that is very closely related to whichever book Julia has just read.

Sometimes this similarity is extremely blatant, like when Julia was reading "The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes" and I stumbled upon a book she was writing called "The Extraordinary Days of Ophelia Mayes."

Sometimes it's not even a book that Julia herself is reading that motivates her to write a spin-off.  Madeleine received a book for Christmas that both girls have really enjoyed having read to them:

 The Day the Crayons Quit


For those unfamiliar with this book, its premise is that a little boy sits down to color at school one day and instead of crayons, he finds a stack of mail addressed to him.  Each piece of mail is a letter from a crayon of a particular color, detailing that crayon's frustrations and reasons for going on strike.  Some examples are the blue crayon (the boy's favorite) that has been whittled down to a stump, the pink crayon that is never used due to being a "girl" color, the black crayon who is tired of being used for outlining things while brigher, more beautiful colors get to fill the insides, and the neatnik purple crayon who can't handle being used out of the lines.  It's a pretty cute and clever book, and it obviously had a powerful impact on Julia, because when I went into her room to make her bed yesterday, I found this on her floor:

The Day the Markers Got Upset
by Julia Rowe



"One day, May found letters in her coloring book."

Hmm.  So far it starts out just like the crayon book.  Except for the fact that the main character is a girl and not a boy.


"May read them."
Dear May, 
I am upset.  I love being your favorite color, but you use me too much.  All my ink is running out!  Please don't use me so much. se some other colors!  Love, Pink Marker.

Yep.  So far this is a thinly veiled copy of "The Day the Crayons Quit." 



Dear May,
You only use me on boys because I'm blue.  And you hardly ever draw boys!  Will you pleas use me on girls?  I am upset.  Love, Blue Marker

Aha.  Okay.  I'm liking this twist, Jules. Instead of May refusing to use blue because it's a "boy color," May instead actually DOES use the blue, but only on boys.  My question is: what color does May make water?  Or the sky?  Or blueberries?  I'd be curious to see her drawings with yellow water and green skies and a bunch of blue alien-boys running around outside.



Dear May,
I am upset because you rush when you draw with me!  I am very neat!  And you should know that!  And coloring fast ruins my butiful color.  How would you feel about this?
Love, Red Marker

Well, Red Marker is apparently the OCD cousin to the purple crayon from "The Day The Crayons Quit."  I wonder if purple crayon feels like being used out of the lines ruins its butiful color as well.


Dear May,
You only use me on bears.  WHY BEARS?  Can't there be any other things you color me with?  WHY JUST BEARS?
Love, Brown Marker

Yeah, May.  WHY JUST BEARS??!?
Sheesh.  Brown Marker is having a MANGER existential crisis here.  May should just throw him a bone and color a piece of chocolate cake or a mound of dirt with him.  NOT JUST BEARS.



Dear May,
Why do you color peace sines with me when I told you I want you to color in pumpkins with me?  It isn't fair!  Really not fair!  Please stop!
Love, Orange Marker

Okay, markers.  Y'all need to CALM.  THE.  HECK.  DOWN.
Why should May be forced to confine herself to the standards of reality when she's coloring?  So what if boys don't really have blue skin and pumpkins should be orange and there are more things that are brown in the world than bears.  Maybe May WANTS to color purple pumpkins and gray pieces of chocolate cake and red skies.  Maybe this is a chance for her to EXPRESS HERSELF CREATIVELY and all y'all are just whiny little brats over here trying to make her fit the mold.  LET HER EXPLORE HER INNER FANTASIES, marker-folk.  OMG.  Stop complaining and let May color things the way she wants.  SHE'S the artist.  ALL Y'ALL are just the medium.


Dear May,
I am outraged!  You only draw rocks and toilets with me!  DRAW BIGGER THINGS!  If you don't I will exsplode!  I mean it!
Love, Gray Marker

Okay, Gray Marker.  Despite my rant up above, I'm pretty much with you here.  Rocks and toilets?  No one wants to be used for rocks and toilets.  In fact, I can't help but wonder why May chooses to draw toilets in the first place.  I mean, toilets?!?  No wonder she draws yellow water.  Or brown water.  Or any color water BUT blue.  As I said above, I'm all for creativity and all that, but...toilets??


Anyway, that's where Julia has left off for now, so we don't get to see what indignities purple, yellow, or black marker are suffering, but I promise that if May gets any more letters I'll report back to you soon!

1 comment:

  1. What do the markers say we now know, just like the fox......"Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
    Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
    Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!, Wa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pow!
    Wa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pow!
    Wa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pow, Hatee-hatee-hatee-ho!
    Hatee-hatee-hatee-ho!
    Hatee-hatee-hatee-ho!."

    ReplyDelete