Monday, January 5, 2015

Back to the Grind

Today the kids went back to school, and it proved to be a little confusing for one of them.

As I was driving home with Madeleine after pick-up, we had this conversation.

ME: So how was school?  Was it fun?
MADELEINE: Yes.  And Mama?  I was really, REALLY paying really good attention to where you were driving, because I'm not sure what a New YEAR is.
ME: What do you mean?
MADELEINE: Well, YOU said that when it's NEXT YEAR, I'll go to KINDERGARTEN.  So I didn't know I was going to kindergarten.

This poor kid.  It's so hard to understand.  At first, I had told her you have to be five to go to kindergarten, so after her birthday in October, Madeleine expected to be attending kindergarten.  So then I told her that the next time it's September and she's five, she'll be going to kindergarten.  However, in between her birthday and January, I have referred to "next year" as the time at which she will be finally going to Julia's school.  I guess I should have explained that when it's next year AND she's five AND it's September, then she will actually be going to kindergarten.

Now, although it's the New Year, Madeleine seems very reluctant to give up Christmas.  In fact, she got her hands on the little artificial tree of Auntie Shannon's that had been lying in a pile of items to be put in our attic.  Next thing I knew, Madeleine was putting on a Grand Ol' Christmas Show!:




I guess I'm not surprised that Christmas is still on her mind, seeing as Madeleine has been asking questions about Santa on a daily basis.  Why did Santa only leave one present under the tree and it was for JULIA?  This, in fact, caused tears:  Madeleine was completely dismissive of the PILES AND PILES of presents under the tree that didn't explicitly say "From Santa," or from anyone, which is my way of keeping mystery alive while not outright lying about who the presents are from.  The one present that did say "From Santa" was a gift from Julia's best friend, which was completely identical to a gift from Julia's best friend's SISTER to Madeleine, but because Julia's said "From Santa" the kids believed it rather than seeing the very obvious tie between the two presents.  So Madeleine now believes that because Santa signed his name on that one present, it is, in fact, the ONLY present that he himself delivered.  And he gave it to Julia.  Nothing for Madeleine.  Let's definitely cry about that, right?

Furthermore, Madeleine has asked me multiple times about the verity of the whole Santa thing.  The other night at bedtime this came up yet again.

MADELEINE: Mama?  Is Santa real?
ME: Well, what do you think? 
(This is my standard answer to the kids when they ask about Santa, since, as I mentioned above, I don't want to outright lie.)
MADELEINE: I don't know.  Is he real?
ME: Well, do you think he is?
MADELEINE: I don't know, so Mama, can you just TELL me?
ME: Uh...well, maybe *I* don't even know...
MADELEINE: (adopting my same tone of voice) Well, Mama, what do YOU think?

I managed to side-step the subject that evening, but I have a feeling things are going to have to head in the direction of the Tooth Fairy if Madeleine persists with her interrogation techniques!! 

Hope all you readers are enjoying 2015 so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment