Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Singing

I have been going into Madeleine's preschool twice weekly to run a music class with the kids.  Our main focus has been preparing material for next month's Christmas concert, although we always have time for some non-Christmas music as well. 

Yesterday's music class was with the younger class of kids, but today's was with Madeleine's class.  Unlike Julia, who maintains her serious in-school persona even when I'm volunteering in her class, Madeleine immediately ran over to me and draped herself across my body. 

MADELEINE: I'm gonna sit next to MAMA!
MADELEINE'S FRIEND: I'm gonna sit next to Madeleine!
MADELEINE: (turning to her friend) Oh, 'cause you want to be near Mama?

OR because your friend wants to sit next to you, Madeleine.  Just a thought.  Maybe I'm crazy, but I would think that your friend is more excited by the idea of sitting next to you than by simply being near your mother.

Now, those of you who know Madeleine know that she has no trouble speaking with brutal honesty.  This is especially helpful when it means calling out other kids in the middle of a music class.  Madeleine made absolutely sure to report to me, LOUDLY, every single kid who wasn't participating.

ME: Wow!  You all did SUCH a great job singing "Rudolph!"  I saw that everybody was joining in!
MADELEINE: (pointing at one kid or another) Uh, Mama, SHE wasn't!

Furthermore, Madeleine felt it was urgent to point out to me the kids who were goofing around while I was trying to sing. 

ME: (singing) We wish you a Merry Christmas...
MADELEINE: (incessantly tapping me) Mama.  Mama.  Mama.  Look.  Look at what they're doing.  Mama.  Mama.

At another point, the friend next to Madeleine, who clearly didn't know the words to "Jingle Bells," was loudly singing nonsense syllables along with the tune.  Madeleine simply COULDN'T handle about this.  Emitting a loud, long-suffering sigh, she sat wincing and staring accusingly at the friend next to her.  As soon as the song ended, I knew exactly what Madeleine was going to say, and I tried to pre-emptively nip it in the bud. 

ME: Great job, everybody!
MADELEINE: UGH, my EARS are hurting because-
ME: Yeah, I know, we were all singing so nice and loud!
MADELEINE: No, it's because-
ME: (to Madeleine) It's okay. (to the kids) We all did a great job. 
MADELEINE: No, Mama-
ME: Okay, let's get ready for our next song.
MADELEINE: (out of patience with me) My ears are hurting because of the PERSON SITTING NEXT TO ME.

Madeleine was going to get that barb in whether it killed her trying.  WAY to show some tact, honey.  As always.

Perhaps Madeleine's shining moment, however, was during one of our non-Christmas songs, "Bubble Gum."  The kids all got turns coming up with a different goofy spot on our face for us to put our imaginary gum for safe-keeping.  As the song neared the end, Madeleine stood up to whisper to me in what was probably the loudest stage whisper I have ever heard.

MADELEINE: Mama!  Next time you can stick it in your BUM instead of on your face!

I am so honored that my child made such a huge display of my wonderful parenting: yes, I am a mom whose kid openly says potty talk because she thinks it's hilarious.  Not that I haven't tried to prevent my girls from doing so.  But as you all have likely noticed, Madeleine has a mind of her own.

On another note, the Thanksgiving drawings continue around our household, and Julia made a special hand turkey just for Ethan and I while we were away at chorus rehearsal last night:

His name is Turky-Tocky-Turky-Two. 


I guess Madeleine is getting sick of the Thanksgiving stuff already, however, since she asked me today: "Mama?  Is almost-Thanksgiving-time too EARLY to start making MEMORIAL DAY pictures?"  I assured her that she could make pictures with themes from any holiday any time she wants. 

So we now have a lovely Memorial Day hand (non-)turkey:






I think Memorial Day hand and Turky-Tocky-Turky-Two are going to get along beautifully.


No comments:

Post a Comment