Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Girls. And Boys.

ETHAN: (in an attempt to get the girls to calm the heck down after dinner time) Okay.  Listen to me.  You have to sit still in your chairs, and...be girls.
JULIA: We ARE girls!
ETHAN: I know, but you have to act like girls.
JULIA: (affecting a high-pitched squealy voice) Oh, that's so PRETTY!  Is that my make-up coming off?  Oh, flowers.  FLOWERS. I look so pretty with those FLOWERS!
ETHAN: Okay.  You don't have to force yourself to act girly like that.  Just act like a girl.
MADELEINE: I'll just sit there in my chair and be like, "I'm a girl."

Once silence had settled, Ethan turned to the girls with the same stern expression.

ETHAN: Okay.  Now you have to sit there in your chairs and be boys.
JULIA: Heeeeey!  Wanna play some FOOTBALL after school?
MADELEINE: (getting up from the table and spazzing out in the living room)
JULIA: Awww, man, I wish we didn't have to read "Cinderella" and we could read "Harry Potter" instead.
MADELEINE: (still dancing around the living room) Wanna show our BUUUUMS?  After SKEEEEWL?
JULIA: When I have spinach in my teeth, I don't EVER take it out!



Well.  I have to say.  The girls certainly aren't stereotyping at all.  They most definitely know exactly what boys and girls do.  I mean, I'm sure ALL the boys just gather around in the school yard to show their bums as soon as the bell rings.  Right?? 

Julia is now galloping, and Madeleine is drawing a picture of "what I think a gun would look like," (OMG) so you can see that Ethan's attempt to calm the ruckus has really been effective.

And in case you're wondering, this is what Madeleine thinks a gun would look like.  Again, O.M.G.:


2 comments:

  1. Well, Madeleine is right! A gun can destroy a person it is aimed at, including unhinging all of that person's body parts. NEVER touch one!!! XO, Yiayia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geeze, I was kind of hoping the girls would say when they were girls: "we can do whatever boys do." and when they were boys: "we can do whatever girls do."

    ReplyDelete