Friday, November 14, 2014

Disability Awareness

Julia's school had another assembly on Disability Awareness today, and she came home with a letter for parents describing today's program.  At the end of the letter was a series of questions, headlined "Ask Your Child About..."

As I ran through the questions with Julia, I was reminded, yet again, just what sheer and utter geniuses my children are.

ME: Okay, Julia, I know you already know this because we've talked about it before, but: "How did Beethoven compose symphonies when he was deaf?"
JULIA: Mmmm...because he had that THING that you use...with your hands...I don't know...
ME: What thing that he used with his hands?
JULIA: I don't KNOW what it's called!

Well, I had her beat.  Not only did I not KNOW what it's called, but I didn't even know what on earth she was talking about.  So I decided to explain the answer to her instead.

ME: Well, he didn't really use a THING, it's more that he was such an accomplished musician that he could actually HEAR the music in his head.  He could envision a melody and he knew exactly what notes to write down, and he knew what harmonies he wanted to use.
JULIA: Well Mom?  When we were learning about Beethoven, they had his MUSIC playing in the background, and they asked if anyone knew what the song was, and I raised my hand and said "Ode to Joy."
ME: Oh, you knew it!
JULIA: Well, it was because it said "Ode to Joy" on the board.
ME: But you know "Ode to Joy" because you played it on the piano.
JULIA: Uh, I don't really REMEMBER it.
MADELEINE: Well *I* remember-
ME: See?  Madeleine knows it!
MADELEINE: No, Mama, I remember the CLOWN song.

Confused silence.

ME: The clown song?
MADELEINE: (in total confidence) Yeah.  The clown song.
ME: What song is the clown song?
MADELEINE: Julia's song with the clown on it!
JULIA: Oh, yeah!  I know which one she means.

Julia knows what "The clown song" means but she doesn't know "Ode to Joy," which she not only played but has heard my students play for the past seven years at every single piano recital I put on.

It turns out this is the clown song:


Yeah.  "Major-Minor Bop" is really a far cry from Beethoven here, kiddo.

Talking about Beethoven's ability to hear things in his head led to a discussion on ear training, which then led to Ethan's daily quizzing of Madeleine on the difference between major and minor triads.

ETHAN: (playing a major triad on the piano) Okay, Madeleine, what's this?
MADELEINE: (with glee) MANGER!

My kids are AMAZING.

1 comment:

  1. Does Julia mean a metronome?? http://marshallmusicdirect.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/7335chord_metronome.jpg

    ReplyDelete