Sunday, November 23, 2014

Happy 8th Birthday, Julia!!

I can't believe my first-born baby is eight years old today!



Julia was given free reign to choose a family activity today, and among such suggestions as a trip to the zoo or the science museum, the most enticing choice, to her, was to stay home.  That's RIGHT, folks: our new house, filled with new birthday toys, is so exciting a prospect that Julia would rather be here than anywhere else.  Now THAT is a surprising and refreshing change!

Julia and Madeleine spent most of the day playing with the new birthday loot, although they took a break from the play basement to romp around in the leaves outdoors with Ethan:








That is, until Ethan hid in the leaves pretending to be a leaf monster and Madeleine got so terrified that in her frantic dash to escape to the safety of Mommy's arms, she tripped on the deck stairs and scraped her waist.  Only about 10 minutes of sobbing were necessary before she was back at it in the leaf pile with her daddy, though!

Our birthday tradition in the Rowe household is that the birthday boy or girl gets to choose any restaurant for dinner, and Julia opted for Stone Hearth Pizza this evening.  She ordered - surprise, surprise! - mac 'n cheese, and got to finish off the meal with chocolate ice cream.  I guess the carbo and dairy loading wasn't quite enough for her, though.

JULIA: Mommy?  Can I still have CAKE when we get home, too?

It seems like Julia had a lovely birthday weekend, and as I put her to bed this evening, I asked her about her favorite part of her new age.

ME: So, what's the best part about being eight so far?
JULIA: Um...uh...being eight!
ME: Oh. Uh, okay.
JULIA: (wisely) Well, I've only been eight for ONE DAY, so I think I need a little more TIME to see what I like about being eight!

You heard it straight from the eight-year-old's mouth, folks.  The jury's still out on what will age 8 so great, but I think it's pretty clear from the start of this new year of Julia's life that things are gonna be pretty darn awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment