Thursday, August 28, 2014

Stubbornness Runs in the Family

Madeleine may be the queen of melting down over things that really, really don't matter, but Julia can be just as ridiculously stubborn in her own way.  She unfortunately takes after her mother in getting her heart set on one particular idea and then absolutely failing to find a happy medium when she doesn't get her way.  Better to suffer completely than to compromise an inch!

Such was the case today, when, after a perfectly lovely afternoon at the town pool, Julia started asking if she could take a hot shower when we got home because she was cold.

Now, normally I would be more flexible on this issue, but we JUST had cleaners come to our house yesterday to help get our place ready for market.  And both girls ALREADY took showers last night.  So I felt it was neither necessary to a) further dirty our newly cleaned tub with the sand that clung to the kids' feet, nor to b) soap and shampoo all over again within less than 24 hours.  I instead suggested that we use the showers at the pool to rinse off the sand and warm up under the hot water.

Nuh-uh.  No way, José.  Not good enough for Julia.  After Madeleine had rinsed off and warmed up, Julia dared to TURN THE SHOWER OFF when it was her turn to go in.  It was SHOWER AT HOME or bust.  (So, bust, because there was NO WAY I was going to give in and let her shower at home.)  In fact, I insisted she rinse off in the shower to get the sand off, and she did so with an extreme effort to avoid any unnecessary contact with the water.  She basically stuck her feet under the stream and declared herself good to go.  This kid will CUT OFF HER NOSE TO SPITE HER FACE.

On the drive home, I launched into a long, stern lecture to Julia about how such behavior was completely disrespectful and how if I can't trust her to be a good listener on the little things, there's no way I can trust her to listen on the big, important issues.  I probably lectured on much longer than was appropriate, but I was thoroughly irritated.  When I had finished my rant, there was a moment of silence in the car before someone decided to pipe up.

MADELEINE: Mama.  I have a GREAT idea!
ME: What is it?
MADELEINE: When we get home, I'm gonna draw a picture in the book I'm making of...an AMERICAN POLE!

Another moment of silence.

ME: An American pole?? 
MADELEINE: (delighted) Yes!
ME: What's an American pole?
MADELEINE: (talking to me like I'm a dunce) Mama.  Come on.  YOU know.  It's the pole that has a big American FLAG hanging on it.
ME: So...you're gonna draw a picture of an American flag?
MADELEINE: (cheerfully) Yes!  On an American pole!

By this logic, would a totem pole then be called a NATIVE American pole??

Leave it to Madeleine to stay completely on topic.  At least she broke the stony silence that followed my talking-to, although Julia herself refused to say a word the rest of the ride back.  Don't worry, though: Madeleine was sure to address Julia's attitude in a completely helpful way.

MADELEINE: Julia.  *I'm* not complaining.  Why are YOU complaining?

At any rate, Julia has been handed her consequence of no dessert tonight ("I didn't WANT dessert anyway!") and we have moved on to happier things.  In fact, Julia is busy dreaming away about Labor Day weekend.

JULIA: Mom?  You know how I sometimes MAKE UP people that aren't real when I'm doing my THINKING time?
ME: Um, yeah.
JULIA: So.  I made up a girl who was born on LABOR DAY, and she's going into SIXTH GRADE, and on the first day of school on September 1st, she says "Hi!  I'm TWELVE today!"

This is the sort of stuff she spends time imagining when she's galloping?!?  Good thing she makes sure to fit in several Gallop Time episodes a day!  Otherwise her imagination might explode from its need to create all these interesting made-up people!

No comments:

Post a Comment