Monday, August 25, 2014

I Will Take a Walk

Julia frequently has her Barbie dolls put on singing performances as she plays with them, with dolls like Elsa or Rapunzel singing songs from their own Disney movies.  The dolls who don't actually come from a movie perform songs that Julia makes up on the spot, or, in the case of one Barbie, a recurring original composition.  I actually didn't realize that Julia had written this particular song, because it sounded legitimate enough to me that I assumed it was an actual pop song.  Julia was simply THRILLED that I had mistaken her own artistic work for that of a famous singer/songwriter.

ME: Julia, who is that song by?
JULIA: Mom.  I made it up!
ME: You did??
JULIA: Yes!  It's the song I *always* make Luna sing!
ME: Wow, I thought it must have been a song by Taylor Swift or Katy Perry or something.
JULIA: (beaming) Well Mom.  Why did you think it was by Taylor Swift or Katy Perry?
ME: Because, the melody sounded like an actual song you'd hear on the radio.

Julia continued to ask me, throughout the day, "But Mom, why DID you think that song was by Taylor Swift or Katy Perry??"  No amount of praise seemed to satisfy her desire to hear more about what I thought of her song, so I came up with the perfect idea.

ME: Julia, why don't I video you singing your song and then you can hear how it sounds?
JULIA: Uh, okay.

And then Auntie Shannon said something that would set off a massive spiralling melt-down.

AUNTIE SHANNON: Yeah, you should put it on YouTube, and then Julia will get famous!

As I attempted to casually record Julia singing her song, I was unable to get her to even start singing.  Instead, she squirmed around uncomfortably, making all kinds of whiny sounds that verged on panic.  I tried everything: having her turn her back to me while she sang, assuring her that I would let her listen to the recording and give me her okay before let anyone else hear it, closing my own eyes while recording her so that I wasn't looking at her, and what not.  Julia was not having any of it, and was on the absolute verge of freaking out; however, in typical Julia fashion, EVERY SINGLE TIME I tried to turn my camera off and suggest we not try and record her song, she would frantically insist that "No!  We HAVE to!" 

What on earth was causing her to be so camera shy?  The answer finally came out as Julia burst into frenzied sobs.

ME: Honey, what's wrong?  Why are you feeling so nervous about singing?
JULIA: BECAUSE!  Auntie Shannon said you'll put it on YouTube and then I'll get famous, and I don't WAAAAAAAANT to be famooooous!
ME: Honey, you don't have to worry about that. 
JULIA: Yes I do!  Because I just KNOW I'm gonna become FAMOUS!  (spastic crying.)

So.  Today, when she was in a more rational mood, Julia had a change of heart and decided she wanted to sing her song for me so I could record it.  And I did as promised and let her listen to the recording before I put it up on the blog or anywhere.  (And I'll have you know that she was tickled pink to hear her own singing and is now a proponent of letting me share it with you all.)  But: I have a promise I need to extract from all of you blog-readers.  When you watch this video, DON'T send it to all your talent scout friends, your A-list Hollywood actor or musician buddies, or your record-company owners.  Julia does NOT want to become famous, and since she is certain that allowing this video to be viewed will UNDENIABLY bring her fame, I need to ask you blog readers NOT TO LET JULIA GET FAMOUS.  Yes, yes, I know that my blog reading audience consists of only a small handful of family members, but I know you people have connections to the world of fame and fortune.  So don't let this video get into the hands of ANYONE who will make Julia the star that she is bound to become if her music is heard by the masses.

Okay, you've been warned.  Now, for your listening pleasure, I present "I Will Take a Walk" by Julia!:



I know she doesn't want to gain fame from her music video, but I do have to admit that Julia will ALWAYS be a star in her mommy's heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment