Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Rowe Girls at the Pool

With the return of hot weather this week, we Rowe girls have spent a LOT of time at the town pool.  Today we had another female from our family join us, as Auntie Caitlyn came along to swim. 

Apparently Auntie Caitlyn's sole existence at the pool was to give Madeleine her undivided attention.  It was simply UNACCEPTABLE for Auntie Caitlyn to give anybody else a moment of her time.  As Caitlyn and I stood in the shallow end, chatting, Madeleine became increasingly irritated.

MADELEINE: Auntie Caitlyn!  Try and find my GOGGLES! 
AUNTIE CAITLYN: Okay.
MADELEINE: No, try and FIND them!

It is, of course, EXTREMELY difficult to find a pair of goggles on the ground of the pool right by Madeleine's feet in completely see-through water.

AUNTIE CAITLYN: I see them!  Right there.  (turning back to me)
MADELEINE: No.  Auntie Caitlyn.  You're supposed to be HELPING me find them.
AUNTIE CAITLYN: Oh.  Okay.  (scooping up the goggles with her foot and handing them to Madeleine, then turning back to me.)
MADELEINE: No.  Auntie Caitlyn!  I need you to HELP ME.  And helping me means you're NOT TALKING TO MOMMY.

Auntie Caitlyn went and dutifully helped Madeleine "find" her goggles.  I remarked upon the ridiculousness of the fact that Madeleine didn't want Caitlyn talking to me.  Caitlyn then responded to me.

MADELEINE: (immediately intervening) Uh, Auntie Caitlyn, you can talk to Mommy at HOME.

SHEESH.  How dare my sister and I try to exchange a word or two when Madeleine is in such desperate need of help in finding her very visible goggles??

It turns out that Auntie Caitlyn and I weren't the only ones committing grievous sins in Madeleine's eyes. 

After having drawn a picture of a bunny in the sand with her finger, Madeleine felt the entire pool crowd needed to recognize her artwork as the masterpiece that it was.  Unfortunately for her, the pool-goers were instead completely oblivious of the sand drawing and proceeded to use the sand beach as a means for walking from one end of the pool to the other.  Madeleine repeatedly chastised her sister and her friend when they inadvertently stepped over one part of the bunny drawing, but the worst insult to Madeleine's heart came from a complete stranger.  This particular woman happened to walk along the beach in exactly the spot where Madeleine had drawn her bunny, and smoothed the sand with her foot as she walked over the bunny, marring the beautiful artwork.

MADELEINE: Heeeeey!
ME: Madeleine.  Stop.  Calm down.
MADELEINE: (on the verge of tears) But Mama!  Did you see what that PERSON did ON PURPOSE??

It's a tough world to live in when you're a poor, young, unappreciated sand illustrator.





No comments:

Post a Comment