Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Chicken Pox Play

While Madeleine and Julia were playing with their American Girl dolls in Madeleine's room, I hung out in my bedroom next door, reading.  Julia had requested that I stay upstairs with them while they play, so as I read I kept my bedroom door open so the girls and I could talk to each other if need be.  Hence, I got to overhear some of the pretend play that was going on.

JULIA: What's the matter, Saige?
MADELEINE: (as Saige) I have CHICKEN POPS!
JULIA: (scathingly) You shouldn't sound so EXCITED about that. 
MADELEINE: (as Saige) You better tell my mom I have chicken pops.
JULIA: Mrs. Copeland!  Saige has CHICKEN POX!
MADELEINE: (as Mrs. Copeland) Well, you can tell her to take a WARM BATH to help with the itching!
JULIA: Okay, Madeleine, we have to make it so that NONE of the other American Girls can touch Saige.
MADELEINE: Uh, Julia?  Baby Lily ARDERY touched Saige, so now Baby Lily has chicken pops too!
JULIA: Oh, great.
MADELEINE: (as Saige) You better go tell my mom that Baby Lily touched me and she has chicken pops.  And: Lily got them too.
[Side note: Lily is actually different from Baby Lily, who is an American Girl Bitty Baby.  Lily is not an American Girl doll, but rather Madeleine's Cinderella doll, who is apparently no longer Cinderella.]
JULIA: Mrs. Copeland!  LOTS of people are getting chicken pox!  Baby Lily AND Lily both touched Saige and now they have chicken pox too!
MADELEINE: (as Mrs. Copeland) Wow, three people have chicken pops!
JULIA: (scolding) Madeleine.  You don't have to sound so HAPPY about it.
MADELEINE: Well Julia.  Saige is better so she can't get it again.
JULIA: Madeleine.  Why are you making everybody get chicken pox?
MADELEINE: Well Julia. Mommy told me that if you get chicken pops, you can't ever get them again.  And Mommy also told me that if you get a chicken pops SHOT, then you can't ever get chicken pops.
JULIA: Madeleine!  Why do you have to be acting like such a SMARTY PANTS like you know EVERYTHING?
ME: (intervening) Julia, what she's saying is correct.  We just talked about it the other day so she's just telling you what I told her.
JULIA: I *know*, but she's acting like she knows EVERYTHING about chicken pox and she doesn't know that *I* already KNOW this stuff TOO. She just thinks SHE'S the smartest!

Uh, correction.  Madeleine was actually acting like she knows everything about CHICKEN POPS.  So Julia, you remain the chicken pox expert.

The Barbie dolls have now come down with chicken pops as well.  So far, Cinderella, Grace, and Pinkie Pie have been afflicted, although Julia's brave grad school Barbies are still heading off to school.  In a completely typical demonstration of the fact that Madeleine lives in her own world even when playing along with Julia, the girls just had this exchange:

JULIA: (as Rapunzel) Ugh, I still have to finish my LETTER for Mrs. Concovich!
MADELEINE: (as Pinkie Pie) But I *always* wake up by a ROOSTER!

Maybe the rooster will actually let Pinkie Pie get some sleep tonight, seeing as she has chicken pops and all.

1 comment: