Wednesday, April 30, 2014

More Drawings, More Books

Yesterday, at a play-date, Julia drew the following picture:







Despite the helpful illustration, I could not for the life of me figure out what the caption was supposed to mean, and neither could the mother of Julia's friend.

FRIEND'S MOM: "D and N are friends?"
JULIA: No, P and N are friends!
ME: But what does "P and N" mean?
JULIA: Pilgrim and Native American!!

Ohh.  I kind of can't believe I couldn't figure that out.  It shows how un-PC my brain is regarding the pairing of pilgrims and Native Americans.  I am so used to the coupling of "Pilgrims and Indians" that my mind didn't even GO there.  Here I was, thinking in Sesame Street-like terms, imagining a cartoon letter P and letter N walking around holding hands, singing some cute alphabet song. 

Madeleine did a bunch of drawing on her own as well, though she didn't draw happy smiling friends of different races.  Instead, to borrow and alter a phrase from "The Sixth Sense," Madeleine's motto is: "I draw dead people."






I'm going to assume that the above pictures are both renditions of Elsa shedding tears over Anna; however, instead of Anna being frozen into an ice version of herself, she's floating upside down like a dead fish.  (Maybe Madeleine should have written "Deed Fish" instead of Julia...)

And then there's this picture:





What.  The.  Heck. 

I asked Madeleine to tell me about this picture, and she gave me this very informative response: "So, there's, like, an ANGEL, and there's, like, these things saying 'HI' to them."

And apparently the things saying "Hi" would include unhappy men in space ships, a camera, a skeleton whose head, arms and legs have become detached from his body, a totem pole with a pineapple on his head, and a slide.

Now, moving on from drawing to books, Julia has started work on what is SURE to be the masterpiece to top all masterpieces:

Why Do Boy's Not Go in the Girl's Bathroom?
by Julia Rowe

Well, the title just says it all, dear readers.  This is gonna be a BEST-SELLER.


"Hi I'm Annie.  And girls go in the girl's bathroom but boy's go in the boy's bathroom."

Hi Annie!  Nice to meet you!  Thanks for the stunning new information on girls and boys.  By the way, it looks like you might need to use the bathroom yourself.  Either that, or change your diaper.



"I just went to the bathroom.  How come there's know boy's' I ask't.  'Well this is a girl's bathroom' said a girl.  She look't anoyd."

Don't worry, Annie, I make that mistake all the time.  I am constantly turning to a random woman in the ladies' room and saying, "I just went to the bathroom.  How come there's know men?"  The women I ask usually look anoyd at me as well.  I feel your pain.



"Boy oh boy,' said Annie.  'Is this a no boy's allowed school?'  Annie wonderd allowed.  The next day."

It took me a LONG time to realize that the words in Annie's thought bubble say "Cafitiria," not "Caxixiria."  Here I was, trying to understand whether Annie just thinks jibberish words in her head and THAT'S why she's too dim to understand about the boys' and girls' bathrooms, or whether she was going to cast a Harry Potter-esque spell to uncover the secret knowledge that she seeks. 

And all along, it turns out that she was just thinking in caveman terms about where she was at the moment.  CAFITIRIA!  I guess the words she wonders allowed are more sophisticated than the thoughts in her head.  




"WHAT IS GOING ON!?' yelled Annie.  'I gess I'll just draw,' said Annie."

Wow.  Annie is getting REALLY bent out of shape about this girls' bathroom thing.  But she had an excellent coping strategy.  I know that whenever I am confused as to why there are no boys in the girls' bathroom, it helps to sit down and draw pictures of hearts and sunshine.



 "Fransisca,' said Annie.  'Why do boy's go in the boy bathroom?'  'Well,' said Fransica.  'Well becuse there boy's,' said Fransisca."

Man, Annie sure is lucky to have a big sister like Fransisca to explain the obvious.  Boys go in the boys bathroom becuse there boys.  Of COURSE!  (Also, do you think that when Annie is going to the bathroom, she has a thought bubble above her head that says "BATHROOM!"?)


"I understand,' said Annie.  'I gess I do,' said she."


Julia then began work on the back of this page, about how Annie DOESN'T really understand, but doesn't dare tell Fransisca.  Then it was time for school so the book remains, at the moment, incomplete.  How will this thrilling story wrap up?  Will Annie finally figure out why there are no boy's in the girl's bathroom?  Or will she remain forever in a foggy cloud of confusion? 

"Will we ever find out how this story ends?" I wondered allowed.  The next day.




2 comments:

  1. I thought it said caxixiria too. I said, "Julia, what the heck does caxixiria mean?" "It's CAFETERIA!!!!" said she.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guys, Madeleine scares the bejeezus out of me.

    ReplyDelete