Monday, April 14, 2014

Peek Week

Julia has been eagerly awaiting her P.E. gymnastics Peek Week, and at long last, Peek Day was here!  She bounded out of bed, dressed in a very gymnast-like outfit of striped tank top and white spandex leggings.  She couldn't wait for Madeleine and I to come to her school later in the day to watch her class show off the gymnastics skills they have honed during the last six weeks of P.E.

Ethan had other concerns on his mind when he saw Julia in her outfit. 

ETHAN: (approaching me as I came downstairs this morning) Uh, Court?  When Julia turns around, I can see her underwear through her pants.  What do you think I should do?  Should I tell her?
ME: Yeah, you should tell her, because she has her gymnastics Peek Week show today.

So Ethan went into the living room to deliver the news to Julia, who seemed to take it as one of Daddy's usual practical jokes. 

After Ethan had left for work, Julia came to me to confirm his story.

JULIA: Mommy?  Daddy says that he can see my UNDERWEAR through my pants.  Was he telling the TRUUUUUTH?
ME: Let me see.
JULIA: (turning around to show me her backside, which offered a nice display of her yellow undies through her white leggings.)
ME: Yeah, I can see them a little bit.
JULIA: Well, should I change into different underwear?
ME: Yeah, you might want to.
JULIA: But wouldn't you just be able to see ANY underwear I pick?
ME: Well, if you pick white ones, they'll sort of blend in with your pants. 

After a moment's consideration, Julia decided to play it bold and risky.

JULIA: Well, I guess I don't really CARE if you can see my underwear.  Besides.  Mom.  Do you think that during our Peek Week show people will be focusing on whether you can see my UNDERWEAR?  There's gonna be a LOT more stuff to be paying attention to than my UNDERWEAR.


No, honey, I actually think that when you're front and center doing your solo routine of hanging upside down from bars and stuff, it's going to be hard for people NOT to notice your yellow undies.


I suggested she just throw on a pair of white undies to play it safe, and luckily, the underwear were not at all visible after she changed.  I didn't want to make her self-conscious about something she obviously felt unphased by, but on the other hand, I didn't want her getting teased after a show she was SO excited to present to the parents.


Madeleine, herself, was super excited to attend Julia's gymnastics show.  We missed the kids doing freestyle gymnastics warm-ups all over the gym, thanks to the fact that Madeleine had decided to play with pine needles on our walk to Julia's school, collecting various boughs as we walked along and ensuring her hands were completely COVERED with pine sap (necessitating an emergency run to the bathroom to wash hands just as the show was starting).  However, we got to watch each and every individual routine, and I sat with cell phone poised to take a video as soon as Julia took her turn.

Here is what I captured of Julia's routine:



Now THAT is a video to remember, folks.  Yes, apparently when I thought I hit the start button I didn't actually get it recording, but never fear!  Right when I pressed the "stop" button, I managed to START the recording and get about three seconds of the floor and Madeleine asking me if I took a video.  Epic parenting fail!

After the kids each presented their own routines, parents and siblings were invited out onto the gym floor to try the various equipment, and MAN was Madeleine in seventh heaven.  She initially followed Julia around, but before long she took off and was climbing scarily high ladders and hanging from bars that were at least eight feet off the ground while I was on the other end of the room watching the feats Julia wanted me to see her accomplish.  In other words, Madeleine was acting like the complete and utter daredevil that she truly is.

At any rate, while I failed to capture a decent video, I can give you my eye witness account that Julia put on a very cool and unique routine, and her Peek Week excitement came to happy fruition.

No comments:

Post a Comment