Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Retirement Gifts

The director of Madeleine's preschool is retiring at the end of this school year, and parents past and present are feeling very sentimental about it.  As part of a special good-bye gift from the entire school, the Parent Committee is putting together a book of memories from the mouths of babes.  Today I sat down with Madeleine to give her the prompt question: "What I love most about Mrs. G..."

ME: Madeleine, what do you love most about Mrs. G?
MADELEINE: Well Mama?  Did you know that we got to have POPCORN for snack today?
ME: Wow!  But can you tell me what you love most about Mrs. G?
MADELEINE: Ummm...she gives out really good SNACKS.
ME: Uh, okay.  And what else?
MADELEINE: Umm...she gives out good JUICE.
ME: Okay.  And what does she do that's NOT about snack time?
MADELEINE: (thoughtful) Uh...makes up the RULES?
ME: Okaaay...but what else does she do that's really special that you love?
MADELEINE: Um, she gets out paper for pictures.  Because I love to draw hearts!
ME: Okay.  So what else is great about Mrs. G?
MADELEINE: Uh, she tells Finn not to call me LAME.
ME: What?
MADELEINE: Finn called me "lame" today, and she said not to SAY that.

Great.  That's a perfect memory for the school gift.  "The thing I love most about Mrs. G is that she tells Finn not to call me lame."

Anyway, I was finally able to piece together enough of what Madeleine said to come up with this:

WHAT I LOVE MOST ABOUT MRS. G: "She gives out really good snacks, and she gets me paper for drawing pictures.  I love to draw hearts!"


To top it all off, this is the picture that Madeleine drew to accompany her kind words:



Enjoy your retirement, Mrs. G!  Don't let that black shadow of impending death dampen your retirement-age pleasure!

1 comment: