Sunday, April 6, 2014

Little People and My Little Ponies

The girls have played all sorts of pretend games today, and whenever I got a moment, I eavesdropped in on the pretend conversations they had going on.  Earlier in the day, Julia and Madeleine had set up all their Little People houses, and got busy playing with the various characters.  Julia was primarily playing with the Halloweens, the set of Little People that she decided live in the spooky haunted Halloween Little People house.  (In case that wasn't obvious from the fact that she gave them all the last name "Halloween.")  

Here are various snippets of their game that I overheard.  Since I was in the other room, I couldn't see which Little People they were "talking" at any given time, so I will just present their conversation to you based on which kid was talking when.

JULIA: Hello there.  Do you like anything new, or do you like anything OLD?
MADELEINE: We would like a new bike for our little DARLING.
JULIA: Sorry, but the only other bike belongs to the Halloweens.
MADELEINE: But I need something for my precious darling.
JULIA: If you want, I have an old bike you can use.
MADELEINE: That's perfect!
JULIA: But I have to warn you.  It's a tricycle.
MADELEINE: Yeah, well, she IS a little girl.
JULIA: The only bikes we have around here THESE DAYS are tricycles.

Before long, the Little People had moved on to another plot beyond the purchasing of a tricycle for their little darling. Madeleine's Little Person was visiting the Halloweens' house to invite them to her birthday party, and was a little creeped out by the haunted happenings there.  But DON'T WORRY, the tricycle theme comes back FULL CIRCLE, because Julia and Madeleine are just kinda thematic geniuses like that.

Home of the Halloween family, setting of the following pretend-play conversation:

MADELEINE: (outside the Halloweens' house) Ding dong!
JULIA: I'll get it, all get it, I'll get it!
MADELEINE: (singing) You're invited to a party with all your other friends!  And you have to come together; it's my birthday paaaaarty.
JULIA: Okay!  Oh, that's just our little baby GHOST!  She sneaks up on EVERYBODY.  One time she snuck up on me.  I was terrified for a little bit.
MADELEINE: Oh.  Where does she live?
JULIA: She lives in our little pumpkin.
MADELEINE: She looks like a sand castle.
JULIA: She does?!?
MADELEINE: Yeah.  Like, your little graveyard?
JULIA: We don't have a graveyard.
MADELEINE: Yes you do.  Down by the fence.
JULIA: Oh.  Shouldn't you just be giving out INVITATIONS?  "Like, please rvs to my birthday party, love Ally S."
MADELEINE: I don't have any.  Hey, are you having a party in there?  Because it looks like a Halloween party!
JULIA: Oh, no, it's just that everything we have is Halloween!  Would you like to come in?  I'll get you some punch!
MADELEINE: Okay.  But I have to park my bike somewhere.
JULIA: Oh.  You can just park it outside there.  Hey, wait! I  have an idea!  You two should ride your bikes together ON THE TRACKS!
MADELEINE: Yeah!  On the train tracks!
JULIA: (disdainful) No.  On THESE tracks.  Here.  Why don't you go put your birthday cake away?  I'll wait for you here. 
MADELEINE: Okay, I put my cake away!
JULIA: Okay.  I'll show you where the tracks are!

At this point, I had to help Ethan deal with the installation of our new phones, so I couldn't continue transcribing the riveting details of the Little People riding their trikes on the tracks.  However, later in the afternoon, the girls got into a My Little Pony game.  Julia was initially resistant, because she was playing with her miniature-sized ponies, and felt that Madeleine's regular sized pony was a big misfit in the land of minis.  Besides, Julia argued, Madeleine had already been playing alone with the ponies in the My Little Pony mermaid castle, so she should continue on doing so. 

The mermaid castle game had gone along like this:

MADELEINE: Hear dee, hear dee!  Everybody come on!  Because there's lots of FIRES!  But...they won't HURT the other ponies.  They would just, like, DEFEND them a little bit.

Therefore, as Madeleine argued, her pony had to get away from the fires, and needed to join Julia in the safe land of grass, rainbows, pink castles, and shrimpy ponies:



MADELEINE: I just came from Somerville.  It was really warm there because there were a LOT of fires.
JULIA: Who are YOU?
MADELEINE: I'm Fluttershy!
JULIA: It's kind of scary when a BIG pony comes to town.  So...see ya!
MADELEINE: (hesitantly) Bye...but...I just wanted to go to Pinkie Pie's party!
JULIA: I'm kind of afraid of BIG ponies.
MADELEINE: But Pinkie Pie.  I did want to ASK you something.  I'm Fluttershy.
JULIA: I like you!  Do you wanna know how we do it in THIS valley? 
MADELEINE: Yeah!
JULIA: C'mon!  I'll show you! (breaking into song) Here's a plaaaace, that's very new, jump along the riverside, find the prettiest flowers there, it's all you have to dooooo....
MADELEINE: Oh!  I love flowers.
JULIA: You do?
MADELEINE: Yeah.  And I also really love RAINBOW DASH.
JULIA: (brightly) Oh!  (returning to her singing) Love and flowers sittin' in the meadow day after day, dancin' in the beautiful suuuuun...everybody knows it, you can't eat it, or you will blow it!  Dancin' high iiiiin the sky, everyooooone knooooows, all good friends will never ever ever end, dancin' high in the skyyyyyyyyyyy!
MADELEINE: (joining in on the last note, a beat late) Skyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
JULIA: Okay, would you like to help me come deliver these to Princess Celestia?
MADELEINE: Well, I want to go to the Grand Galloping Gala!
JULIA: (irritably) Madeleine, there IS no Grand Galloping Gala in this game.
MADELEINE: But...I want to go with Princess Celestia!
JULIA: (back in her pony voice) Well, Princess Celestia doesn't like people to DISTURV her.

Madeleine didn't even get a chance to disturv Princess Celestia, because a few moments later, she had this epic announcement: "JULIA!  Uh...I need to POOP!" and went dashing off.  Now, we all know that Madeleine will be in the bathroom at LEAST 30 minutes (she is currently bellowing away made-up songs while holding her big pony as she sits on the pot.)  So at least Julia well get a little bit of time to play alone without that big pony of Madeleine's scaring and disturving her. 

So...see ya!

1 comment:

  1. Who's surprised that Madeleine brought graveyards and fires into the game???

    ReplyDelete