Tuesday, April 22, 2014

New Poems

Julia's poetry skills have come a LONG way since her "Love is Heart" poem.  Today she wrote several poems that I thought were quite lovely. 

Rain
"I here rain it is raining.  It is falling down from the shinggel's.  It is decorating the outside.  I am relaxst as I fall isleep.  It is raining."

I love this poetic description of being cozy indoors while the pitter patter of rain outdoors lulls you to sleep.  And it takes an extra-special effort for Julia to write from this point of view, so unlike her own.  Because if it really WERE raining while Julia was trying to fall isleep it would be more like this:

JULIA: (getting out of bed in a panic) MOM?  Is the rain gonna cause a FLOOD?
ME: No.  Go back to bed.
JULIA: (getting back out of bed in a panic) MOM?  Should I turn off my night-light in case lightning strikes our house and it causes a FIRE?
ME: No honey.  Go back to bed.
JULIA: (sprinting back out of her bed) MOM?  But how do you KNOW it's not gonna cause a flood?  Mom?  Can you just CHECK the weather and see if it says there might be a flood?  MOM?  Is it supposed to be a THUNDERSTORM?  But will lightning strike our house?  But how do you KNOW that it's not going to thunderstorm?  MOM?  I just CAN'T FALL ASLEEP with the sound of RAIN outside my window!


But anyway.  Julia's poem version is much more...well...poetic.
And speaking of Julia trying to fall asleep, let's look at her next poem:


 Fall Asleep
"As I fall asleep I grow and grow.  Thing's happen when I fall asleep.  Thing's I don't know of.  As I fall asleep.  I fall asleep to chiljren singing.  I fall asleep to grow-ups laghing.  I fall asleep to every sound I here in my ear.  I fall asleep to the silance in the dark stormie night.  Something jumps as morn aproche's.  Someone wisporing in my ear.  Someone happy.  Someone jolly.  As I wake up."

This might be my favorite poem ever.  I wonder WHO she imagines is wisporing in her ear in the morning.  I mean, obviously it's someone happy and someone jolly.  But as far as I know, in reality, it's the kids waking up the rest of the household in the morning, rather than vice versa.  But then again, this is not necessarily meant as an autobiographical poem.  If you know Julia, you know that she could NEVER fall asleep to the sounds of chiljren singing, grow-ups laghing, OR the silance of a stormie night.  In fact, Julia can't fall asleep to the noise of ANYTHING going on in the house.  So much so that she will often come chastise Ethan and I for making TOO MUCH NOISE as we clean up the kitchen and do the dishes after putting her to bed. 


And, speaking of noises, we have THIS poem:

Voises
"I here voises.  Voises of the chilgren in the world.  Voises of all the adolt's in the world.  But I know that it is a voise of love."

Awww!  What a beautiful message!  Although I don't know if she wants to go around actively stating: "I here voises."  I mean, I know there have been a LOT of mentally unstable poets who are ranked as among the greatest literary masters.  So maybe writing about hering voises is actually establishing a kinship with the likes of Sylvia Plath.  And anyway, when the voises you're hearing are those of love, why NOT advertise it?  I wonder if the voises of chilgren were singing, and if the voises of the adolt's were laghing. Either way, nice reference to the previous poem, Jules!  It's like the circle of life!

Madeleine didn't write any poems today.  Instead, she drew this:

Spiky-headed demon-eyed skeleton of death.  Shiver.



1 comment:

  1. "Someone wisporing in my ear. Someone happy. Someone jolly. As I wake up." I think this poem is written about me. Someone is wisporing in my ear, "Shaannnnnnon? Can I watch SABRINA on the TABLET?" As I wake up.

    ReplyDelete