Saturday, October 12, 2013

Race Day!

Yesterday during Share Time at school, Julia shared with the class my plans to run the Hartford Half-Marathon over the weekend.  This prompted Julia's incredibly sweet teacher to set aside time during the school day for the entire class to make me good luck cards.  I literally have piles of hand-drawn cards from a bunch of first-graders:



I am beyond touched.

As we walked home from school yesterday, Julia asked me questions about my upcoming race.

JULIA: Mom?  Do you think you're gonna WIN?

I'm flattered to know that Julia believes I can hold my own against those African warrior-women who tend to win these types of long-distance races.

Madeleine was still hell-bent on winning the race herself.  Any time I mentioned the fact that she was going to get to come cheer me on, she would counter me with: "I'm gonna run it WITH you!  And I'm gonna win, because you're gonna get TIRED!"

This morning, Ethan and I arose at 5:30am to get me on the road for Hartford.  My little kiddie cheering squad joined him later in the morning, with Auntie Shannon as their chauffeur.  Apparently, during their car ride together, Auntie Shannon and the girls were listening to the Beatles' "All You Need Is Love."  Madeleine was going at it full-throttle, bellowing out the words from the back seat, only to suddenly stop and pontificate over the lyrics.

MADELEINE: Auntie Shannon?  All you need is NOT love, because...you also need your BONES, and your BODY.

That's some serious logic at work there, Madeleine.

After my race finished, I met up with Ethan, Auntie Shannon, and the kids, who were very quick to admire my finisher's medal.  These medals were draped over the necks of every single person to finish the race.




Post-race, wearing my medal

JULIA: (gasping in delight) Mommy!  I like your medal!  Is it a GOLD MEDAL?

Yes, Julia.  It is.  The race association went to the effort to provide pure gold medals for all of the many thousands of race participants.

Madeleine had a different take on the medal.

MADELEINE: (pointing to the medal) Hogwarts!!

Yep.  They gave me a gold medal in the shape of Hogwarts.


 
H is for Hogwarts!


As I stood talking with a friend who also ran the half marathon with me, Julia grew impatient with our yammering.

JULIA: Mommy?  Who do grown-ups always TALK for so long??

I gave Auntie Shannon permission to head out with the kiddos, since they had done their due diligence by cheering me on.  In fact, it turns out Julia was pretty darn impressed with her old mom.  On our ride home to Massachusetts, Julia suddenly piped up from the back seat: "Mommy?  I'm so proud of you and so happy for you about your race because you did a really GREAT job!"

I daresay that might be the most treasured bit of praise I have ever received.

No comments:

Post a Comment