Friday, October 18, 2013

Madeleine's Thoughts

After Madeleine's dismissal of my Adam and Eve lesson last night, which many of you probably saw on facebook (and in case you missed it, here it is):,

ME: Madeleine, it's time to brush your teeth.
MADELEINE: (scampering off in the opposite direction of the bathroom)
ME: Madeleine. You need to listen. NOW.
MADELEINE: (ignoring me and running away)
ME: Madeleine! Do you want to be like Adam and Eve in the Garden when they didn't listen to God?? GOD IS WATCHING YOU!
MADELEINE: (stomping off to the bathroom) No, God! DON'T watch me. Amen.



she appeared to be in a much more conciliatory and loving mood towards everyone this evening.  Despite the fact that she chose ONCE AGAIN not to listen, grabbing Auntie Caitlyn's tablet off of the counter after I had taken it away for the evening and commanded her to brush her teeth, and had consequently lost all use of the tablet for the weekend, Madeleine seemed to take a "Hakuna Matata" approach to life as I put her to bed.

MADELEINE: Mommy?  I love you I love you I love you!
ME: I love you too!
MADELEINE: Oh!  And I forgot about Auntie Shannon and Auntie Caitlyn and Yiayia.  And Clara!
ME: What about Daddy?
MADELEINE: Oh, yes!  I love Daddy, AND pumpkins!
ME: That's great.
MADELEINE: I love you and Julia and Daddy, and I love Nana and Gramps, and I love YOUR mommy, and I love your sisters, and I love DADDY'S sisters...
ME: Wait a minute.  Who are Daddy's sisters?
MADELEINE: Umm...
ME: Does Daddy have sisters?
MADELEINE: (brightly) Yes!
ME: Daddy has two BROTHERS.  Uncle Mike and Uncle Dave.
MADELEINE: And is Grandpa Daddy's brother?

Oh boy.  She's way off here.  No, hon, my deceased father is not your own father's brother.  That would mean I married my uncle.

Once we cleared that all up, Madeleine decided to start over again.

MADELEINE: I love you, and Julia, and Daddy, and I love Daddy's mom and dad, and I love YOUR mom, and YOUR sisters, and I love Daddy's brothers, and I love God, and Jesus, and the ANGELS, and I just love EVERYONE but I can't say ALL their names!
ME: That is so sweet of you, honey.
MADELEINE: And Clara.  I love Clara.  I love little BOO-BOO head.

Apparently Madeleine has picked up on one of Auntie Shannon's many pet names for her...uh...pet.  

MADELEINE: Boo-boo head is so CUTE.  She's such a CUTE little Boo-boo head.  But Mommy?  Why does Boo-boo head love Daddy so much?
ME: Well, Daddy is really good with dogs.  He really knows how to take care of dogs.
MADELEINE: And is Daddy good with CATS?
ME: No, because Daddy is allergic to cats, so he doesn't really go near them.
MADELEINE: Well, I'm good with cats, because cats don't BITE me like CLARA does.  I mean...like BOO-BOO HEAD does.

I realized at this point that there was no way Madeleine was going to fall asleep so long as I was in her room, so I made my exit, promising I would come back to check on her.

MADELEINE: And when you come back to check on me, I'm gonna be CONKED OUT.

True to her word, Madeleine was out like a light when I peeked in on her about ten minutes later, but then I made the fatal parenting mistake of thinking the sleeping child just looks SO DARN CUTE and so desperately in need of a couple of big ol' kisses planted on her cheeks that I inadvertently stirred her from what was a very light sleep.  Madeleine then launched back into our discussion of loving people as if it had never been interrupted, opting to elaborate upon what she loves about Nana.

MADELEINE: Nana's SWEET.  And Nana can be SILLY.  And Nana loves people that I don't know.  And Nana loves JULIA.  And Nana loves her FRIENDS.  And...I forgot the last thing that I love about Nana.  (long silence, which I hopefully interpreted for nodding off) Uh...maybe it's that Nana has a HEART.  

A few moments later, she was breathing deeply and had returned to her slumber.  I hope the rest of you fall asleep tonight in the knowledge that Madeleine loves you all.  Whether you were specifically named or lay in the all-inclusive blanket of "EVERYONE but I can't say all the names," know that you are near and dear to Madeleine's own heart.


2 comments:

  1. Boo-boo head nuvs noo noo Madeleine!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That reminds me of all the children who called all you girls my sisters! Do you all remember? Only those children were all telling me how much they loved "my sisters" and were waiting for you to come home! XOXO, Love, Yiayia

    ReplyDelete