Sunday, October 6, 2013

Julia's Thoughts

Julia may be an anxious kid in a lot of ways, but she certainly doesn't lack for self-confidence.  This morning, she sang her own praises on multiple matters. 

After being praised for some generic thing - so generic that I can't even remember the subject matter - Julia had a ready response.

ME: Good job, you smart girl.  How did you get so smart?
JULIA: Well, Mom, I thought I was just already BORN smart!

She then proceeded to demonstrate her astoundingly keen brain-power by knocking her full cup of milk all over the table and dining room rug while pretending to be a ghost, hiding under a blanket, and shouting "BOO!" at Madeleine.


Later in the morning, Julia was securely able to respond to the following compliment on her church get-up: "You look so beautiful!  Has anyone ever told you how beautiful you are??" with an assured, "Um, EVERYONE!"


Even though Julia is unequivocally sure of her own awesomeness, she is by no means self-involved.  On the contrary, as we drove home from church through Harvard Square this afternoon, Julia's concerns were primarily on the bikers weaving in and out of the car traffic.

JULIA: Mom?  I just don't GET IT why so many grown-ups think they don't have to wear a HELMET when they're riding their bikes!
ME: I know.  It's really not safe.
JULIA: But Mom.  Why DO you think more grown-ups DON'T wear a helmet?
ME: Well, I'm not sure.  But look, there's a grown-up biker with a helmet on.
JULIA: Yeah.  But I see WAY MORE grown-ups without helmets.  I just don't get it.  Like, don't they understand that even if God is protecting you, you can STILL have an accident or get hit by someone else!
ME: I know.  You're right.  It's like wearing a seatbelt in the car.  You might think you're a good enough driver that you won't have an accident, but you never know what other bad drivers might do.  So it's better safe than sorry!
JULIA: Well, Mom, I just really WISH other bikers would wear their helmets.  It's just something I really wish could happen.  I know it's not, like, what grown-ups want to do, but I just really WISH they would all have helmets.
ME: Me too.
JULIA: And besides, I even see a lot of bikers who don't even BRING their helmets along with their bikes!  I mean, I know it wouldn't be easy to PUT ON your helmet if you saw a car about to crash into you, but at least if you bring it, you MIGHT be able to get it on in time.

Wow.  I had no idea Julia was so concerned about her fellow bikers.  She has really put a lot of thought into this.  And here I thought she was primarily concerned with her OWN safety while out riding her bike.  I had no idea how concerned she was for all the OTHER bikers out there.

It turns out bikers without helmets are not the only recipients of Julia's concern.

JULIA: And Mom.  You know what the OTHER thing I wish was?  I wish that people wouldn't TEXT while they're driving!  Like, I think it's fine if you talk on the PHONE while you're driving, but I really WISH people wouldn't TEXT!
ME: Me too.  Did you know that it's actually against the law to text while you're driving?
JULIA: Well, I saw someone on the HIGHWAY texting while she was driving, and I just think it's not really SAFE, and I just WISH that people wouldn't do that.  Because, like, how can you pay attention to the ROAD when you're typing on your phone?
ME: You're right.  It's really unsafe.

Can we elect this kid for Congress?  She seems WAY more invested in what's good and safe for the people than our current congressional members do!


No comments:

Post a Comment