Thursday, October 3, 2013

Little Artists

Julia's School-to-Home folder was filled with math worksheets today, as well as a picture she had drawn at school.  This picture was a double-sided Halloween poetry EXTRAVAGANZA!

Side 1:
 Whooh!
"Warewolves in the wodd's screeming littel kids wichis fliy hige case its Halloween boo!"

Julia informed me that the girl in this picture is NOT Ginny Weasley.  She's just another girl who is dressing UP as Ginny Weasley for Halloween.  Julia did not specify what the brown hot dog with penguin wings and a penis-snout with cherry on top is supposed to be, but given the context of the poem, I'm guessing it's the warewolf in the wodd's.


Side 2:
The Gost
"The only gost that live is the most tarifiing of all boo!"

That really is a tarifiing gost.  His wide open mouth makes me feel like he's about to suck my soul out.  Boo!


Meanwhile, Madeleine did some artwork of her own, engaging in a Color-by-Number activity in her coloring book while I lay indisposed on the couch with a migraine.  Since she can't read, she wasn't able to identify the correct colors on her own, but I came up with a way to help her out without needing to get off the couch - or even open my eyes.


MADELEINE: Mama!  What color is the number ONE?
ME: Find the number one down at the bottom of the page and tell me what letters come after it.
MADELEINE: Uh...Mama!  HERE'S one!
ME: Okay.  What letters are after it?
MADELEINE: It says: "r-e-b!"

That sneaky lower-case "d," looking so similar to a lower-case "b."

ME: Okay, so color all the ones red.

(Several minutes of restful silence while she was busy coloring reb.)


MADELEINE: Okay, Mama, what color is the number TWO?
ME: What letters do you see?
MADELEINE: Uh..."y, e, ELEVEN, o, w."

Ah, yes.  Ye11ow.  A most splendid color.

ME: Okay color the twos yellow, honey.

(Several more minutes of rest for me while she colored)

And so on.




And finally, I will end today's post with yet another of Madeleine's totally random observations about the world.  As we headed off to school, Madeleine suddenly brightly commented, in regards to her teacher, "Hey Mama!  Mrs. Gallello looks just like DADDY!"


I would love to spend a day inside that kid's head.

1 comment:

  1. I think my bedtime song on Tuesday might've inspired that poem...

    ReplyDelete