Monday, October 14, 2013

Poster Fun

In order to thank Julia's classmates for the lovely good luck cards they gave me, I made a poster for Julia to bring to school tomorrow, with a message about the race and some photos that Ethan took:







Julia was so interested in my poster work that she decided to make her own poster.  Not to take to school, or for any particular reason.  I mean, let's be honest: do we ever REALLY need a reason to make a fun and informative poster about ourselves?  Not in this household!

Julia's poster highlights all of her current obsessions:


So let's see: I count four references to the Harry Potter characters, and of course she has some pumpkins on there, as she is currently fixated on Halloween.  Then there are the random additions, like pictures of clocks showing various times, as well as the cheerful symbols and exclamations of "yay" and "lol" up top.  Then, of course, there's her happy thought cloud, also filled with peace signs, "lol"s and "yay"s.  I especially like Julia's statement: "I like to imgan."  We all know she likes to imgan, usually about Harry Potter, and most often when she's having Gallop Time (because, in her imganing, ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!)  There has never been a doubt in my mind that Julia is a particuarly imganitive child, after all.  I wonder if she also likes to imgan about clocks and digital displays of the time of day while she gallops.

On another topic, as an extra special treat today, given that there's no school, I took the kids to a puppet show performance of:



The girls both loved the show, which was put on by the National Marionette Theatre, and which featured all sorts of glittery fairy marionettes, the beautiful Princess Aurora, and plenty of lookalikes from the Harry Potter movies.

Two seconds into the performance:

JULIA: (in a loud whisper) Mom!  That wizard looks like DUMBLEDORE!

Two minutes into the performance:

MADELEINE: (turning around to whisper at me) Mom!  That wizard looks like DUMBLEDORE!

Hmmm.  Did the wizard look like Dumbledore, OR is the Dumbledore character physically based on the way EVERY wizard looks in fairy tales??

And because the girls didn't get quite enough of a wizard fix from the puppet show, they are now watching "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" once again.

MADELEINE: But Mama.  I'm scared of EVERY PART in "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire."
JULIA: (obnoxiously sarcastic) So wait.  You're scared of the part where they're dancing at the YULE BALL?  And you're scared of the part when Harry is just HAPPILY riding the HOGWART'S EXPRESS?
MADELEINE: Um, I'm scared of all the faces that go (breathing raspily) "haaaaah!  ahhhhh!"
JULIA: (condescending) Madeleine.  Those aren't FACES.  That's the DARK MARK.
MADELEINE: I'm scared of the Dark Mark.
JULIA: (triumphantly) I'm not scared of the Dark Mark.  I'm not scared of ANYTHING from Harry Potter.

Says the kid who now refuses to sleep with either her air conditioner or night light on because she's afraid they're going to catch on fire.

Maybe her imganation just gets away with itself.

1 comment:

  1. Man, I wish I had "yay lol peace love" floating through my head all the time!!

    ReplyDelete