Friday, March 22, 2013

The Girls Make Lists

Julia has diligently carried on with her Lenten tasks this week, bringing us to today's:






She even woke me up bright and early to show me her list:


I'm sure that Graps and Daddy are thrilled to know they are being prayed for.

On a more serious note, I can't tell you how much it touched my heart that Grampa is at the top of the list.  Dad, I hope you are hearing your grand-daughter's prayers!

Even Madeleine made a prayer list, and wrote the names out all by herself:
Sorry, Yiayia, Clara, Nana, Graps, Shanine, Catline, and Yiayia Megoly.  You failed to make Madeleine's list, although she did think it was important to include herself on there.

Julia had a chance to do a lot more writing today, as she and Madeleine played an elaborate game of "school."  Julia, of course, was the teacher (Mrs. Rowe), and Madeleine was the sole student (Simba.)

The school day started with a Morning Message and Question of the Day:




Simba checked off her answer to the Question of the Day in the "yes" category, even though she doesn't actually really eat much of her pizza whenever we have it.  Since it's Friyday, Simba had miaya (media), as well as math.  After perusing a bunch of miaya books, Simba decided to check out "The Very Busy Spider," and once she had put it in her backpack, she joined the other non-existent children on the rug to work on math.

Mrs. Rowe had set up a "what's missing" sequential number chart for Simba to help fill in:



Simba sat diligently on the rug, answering Mrs. Rowe's questions. 

The math lesson went something like this:

MRS. ROWE: Simba, so, what number is MISSING at the beginning?
SIMBA: One!
MRS. ROWE: Good!  (writing in the number)  Okay.  Now, what's missing.  Four, Five...uh...oh, wait, I messed up...hang on, let me fix this...
SIMBA: (getting distracted by her elephant backpack while Mrs. Rowe fixes her goof)
MRS. ROWE: Okay.  Six, seven, eight...Simba?  What comes next?
SIMBA: (still looking at her elephant backpack) Uhhhhh...ummmm...
ME: (whispering) Nine!
SIMBA: Uh, NINE!
MRS. ROWE: Good!

After the math lesson, Simba got to practice filling in her own number line, but the game of "school" had to be temporarily paused after Simba threw a fit because she couldn't draw a "1" perfectly, and Mrs. Rowe threatened to send her to the principal's office.  Simba needed to turn back into Madeleine for a little while and sob into my chest on the couch before she could recover and rejoin the game.

When school resumed, it was the next day, and I got to make an exciting cameo!  Julia informed me that I was to be guest reader, and even wrote about it in the Morning Message:



Simbu's mom sure DID come in, and read "Dr. DeSoto."  It was fun times!

Anyway, it's almost time for the REAL school for Julia, so I'm off to prepare lunch and get her out the door.  This is Simbu's mom, signing off!







2 comments:

  1. Ugh Courtney, that list breaks my heart. I miss those two kids so much I can't even stand it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You warmed my heart to pray for Grandpa, Julia! Thank you so much. Also for praying for all on you list. What a fun school day, (except for Madeleine's (a.k.a. Simba's) meltdown over the number 1. Wish I could attend such a fun school. Love you all! XOXO, Yiayia

      Delete