Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Madeleine the Mucus-Face

Poor Madeleine has a doozy of a cold, to the point that she can't even breathe, closed-mouthed, through her nose without a gagging/coughing fit, she is speaking with the pinched, tinny voice of major nasal congestion, and she pretty much wears a big ring of dried mucus underneath her nose and around her mouth all day long, despite the many facial wipe-downs I give her.  It is obviously taking a toll on her emotional state as well as her physical, leading to many emotional break-downs over completely inconsequential things.  Including this evening's melt-down, during which I asked her what was wrong and then could not comprehend even one word of the wailing, drooly explanation she bawled at me. 

I remember that when Julia was around Madeleine's age, when she would come down with something, and I'd ask how she was feeling, she would always give me very matter-of-fact responses like, "A little bit rotten," or "Just a little terrible."

Not Madeleine, however.  Ever the optimist, she is not willing to let this cold drag her down.  As we lay snuggling after her bedtime story, and I listened to her labored, raspy mouth-breathing, I decided to check on how she was doing.

ME: Madeleine?  How are you feeling, honey?
MADELEINE: (speaking brightly through her phlegm) Um...really, really GREAT.

A for effort, Madeleine!
I admire her positive attitude, even if she's a big liar liar pants on fire.

2 comments:

  1. My poor little sweetheart. Tell her I love her and to get extra rest on her Madeleine (but not Emilia) pillow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A girl after my own heart! Great job at being brave, Madeleine! Get well soon. XOXO, Yiayia, a.k.a. another eternal optimist.

      Delete