Wednesday, January 2, 2013

First Day Back

Well, after ten days of holiday vacation from school, we are thrust back into the routine again today.  Even Julia, who loves kindergarten, was a bit reluctant to head back this morning. 

JULIA: Well, Mama, it's just that, like, I think I'm just so USED to being home that I feel like I don't really WANT to go to school.

We have clearly lost our school-morning mojo over the lazy week+ off.  Nothing I could say or do could coax the kids into a higher gear this morning as we tried to get our morning routine going.  I knew that after Julia spent ten minutes posing in front of the bathroom mirror like characters from "Barbie: Princess Charm School" instead of brushing her teeth, we were in for a morning of running way behind schedule.  Luckily, I managed to get Julia to the front door of her school with about a minute to spare before the morning bell, so despite our sluggish start, we were able to make the deadline.

Now Madeleine and I are at home, and the Barbie dolls are just chillin' out, buck naked, in their dollhouse:







The top level of the dollhouse appears to be where the non-nudist Barbies hang out:

I guess they're a bit more modest up on the top floor. 
And how on earth did Dora the Explorer manage to break into the Barbie clique?!?

Despite the dollhouse and the piles of other new toys we have in the house, Madeleine simply doesn't want to play with anything without her beloved sister and playmate around.  And even though they fought multiple times a day over the toys this past week, Madeleine is in total Julia withdrawal, viewing her status as only-kid-home not as an opportunity to take control of any toys she wants, but instead as a lonely waiting period until it's time to get Julia from school. I even tried to engage her in the new floor puzzle she got for Christmas, but, sadly, after it was put together it simply became a dance floor for Madeleine's manic, pent-up energy:



Only two more hours until we pick up Julia from school, and then the reunited sisters can play naked Barbies together for the rest of the afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. How does she not get dizzy? I felt like I was going to puke just watching her!

    ReplyDelete