Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Morning Wails and Carol Singing

This morning, instead of cheerfully bursting into my room, Madeleine chose to wake me up by wailing my name over and over again from her bed.  When I went in, I found her sobbing in lamentation as she lay holding her stuffed animals.

ME: Madeleine, what's the matter, honey?
MADELEINE: Julia broke my HEART!
ME: Julia broke your heart?  Why?  What happened?
MADELEINE: Because...I was saying stinky THINGS at her.
ME: Oh.  So she came in to help you and you weren't being nice?
MADELEINE: I was saying mean things at her.  I was doing stinky things at her.  Then Julia BROKE MY HEART!

Oh, the angst and passion of the 3-year-old heart...

Madeleine may have been doing stinky things to Julia early this morning, but before bed last night, she was awfully sweet, practicing for her school sing-along as we lay snuggling in her bed.  She even allowed me to videotape her singing "Deck the Halls."  Luckfully, Madeleine decks her halls with boughs of holly, unlike the bells of polly that Julia uses.



 Julia performed a Christmas carol as well, singing "Away in a Manger" for me this morning, attempting to test whether or not she still remembers all the words from her preschool sing-alongs of yore:



I'm not entirely sure why my girls, who can completely, unabashedly bellow out such songs as "What Kind of Path Do You Take?" and "Pee-pees in the Potty, A Doobie-Doo!" on camera, are so self-conscious and shy about singing these Christmas carols, but hopefully a few more practice runs at home will have them both feeling confident when it's time for the school sing-along and the church Christmas pageant...

1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to think of something to say for the "Julia broke my heart" stuff when she was the one being mean, but I really think I'm just at a loss for words. She is SUCH a weirdo.

    And I know...what the heck girls! You're always belting out some tune or another that I then inevitably get stuck in my head during exams and stuff...so just do it when you have an audience!

    ReplyDelete