Thursday, December 13, 2012

Dinnertime conversation

Small talk around the dinner table this evening:

ME: So Madeleine, what did you do at school today?
MADELEINE: Um...I think there was a MEAN horsie at my school today!
ME: There was a mean horsie?
MADELEINE: (delighted) Yeah!
ETHAN: Describe him.
MADELEINE: I don't want to.
ME: Why was there a mean horsie?
MADELEINE: No, it was a NICE horse!
ETHAN: Well, what did he look like?  What color was he?
MADELEINE: He was...SHE was...WHITE!  She was white, and she had WHITE EYES, and...actually, I think...there was a ZEBRA at my school today.
ETHAN: There was a zebra, huh?
MADELEINE: Yeah!  And she had black stripes and white stripes, and...she said to me: "What are you doing at MY workschool?  This is MY workschool!  No, this is not your workschool, this is MY workschool!"
ME: Oh.
MADELEINE: There was a MEAN ZEBRA at my school today, everyone!!

The conversation got derailed, unfortunately, as Madeleine suddenly announced her urgent need to go poop, so off she frolicked to the bathroom. 

MADELEINE: (exploding into the pot)
ETHAN: (calling through the closed bathroom door) Nice toots, Madeleine.
MADELEINE: (cheerfully) You're welcome!

Mmm.  So appetizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment