Sunday, April 1, 2012

Guessing Games

For some reason, Julia really loves getting to "trick" me. In other words, she asks me a question that I know the answer to, but I have to play dumb and answer incorrectly, so she can triumphantly blurt out the real answer to me. Here is one of her most oft-repeated "tricks":

JULIA: (pressing the telephone sound on her Little People house) Mama, did you think that's our REAL phone?
ME: Uh, yeah.
JULIA: It's NOT! It's the LITTLE PEOPLE PHONE!


Today, as we drove home from dropping Ethan at his church choir rehearsal, Julia was really grasping at straws to find fake ways to stump me. Sitting in the backseat, playing with Grandmother and Grandfather Little People, as well as their suitcase, she decided to start quizzing me about them in order to prove her supreme superiority over my mock clueless responses.

JULIA: Mama, do you think this suitcase doesn't open?
ME: Um, no, I don't think it does.
JULIA: It DOES open! MOOOOM! You should remember that it opens, because remember how Madeleine used to open it and use it like a phone?!?
ME: Yes, I do remember that.
JULIA: Mama. Do you think that Grandfather has brown shoes just like Grandmother?
ME: Uh, yeah.
JULIA: He DOESN'T!! He has BLACK SHOES!
ME: Oh, you tricked me!
JULIA: Do you think Grandmother and Grandfather BOTH have the same color shirt?
ME: Uh... yeah, I think they do.
JULIA: NOPE!! Grandfather has a BLUE shirt, and Grandmother has a PINK shirt.
ME: Oh, okay, I see.
JULIA: Mama. Do you think Grandmother doesn't have anything in her hair?
ME: (getting tired of the game) Well, I know she has a bun in her hair.
JULIA: No, Mama, Mama. Hang on. Don't look! (Covering up Grandmother's bun) Do you think her bun is on TOP of her head?
ME: (siiiiiigh) Uh, yeah.
JULIA: It's NOT! It's back HERE!
ME: Oh, I was wrong, huh?
JULIA: Mama. Do you think there's NOTHING in this suitcase? Say YES!
ME: Yes.
JULIA: WRONG! Mama, look! There's all this stuff in the suitcase!
ME: Oh, boy, I was wrong again.
JULIA: (silent and thoughtful for a moment.) Mama? How come you never KNOW anything?


Is she serious??

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! I know Mommy is VERY smart. Love, Yiayia XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete