Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Sister of the Year

I would like to officially nominate Julia for Sister of the Year.  In order to shed light on her accomplishments, I must first provide a little back story.

Before nap:
ME: Madeleine, let's try the potty.
MADELEINE: (sitting on the potty) No pee-pees!
ME: Well, let's just sit for a minute and see if you can get any pee-pees out, because I don't want you peeing in your crib again.
MADELEINE: Maybe a JUICE BOX will help me get my pee-pees out!
ME: I can get you a juice box to drink on the potty, if you want.
MADELEINE: (delightedly) Yeah, the JUICE BOX will help get my pee-pees out!

After drinking her juice:

MADELEINE: No pee-pees.
ME: Well, let's just sit another minute and try.  I'm sure you have some in there.
MADELEINE: Can you get me a CHOCOLATE thing?
ME: A chocolate thing?
MADELEINE: Yeah!  Maybe a CHOCOLATE THING will help me get my pee-pees out!

Yeah.  Sorry.  I'm not THAT gullible.  The end result was that I stuck a pull-up on her and put her to nap.  In fact, she even woke up dry, so I seized my opportunity to put her back on the potty:

After nap:
ME: Here, Madeleine, let's try the potty and then put on your underwear.
MADELEINE: (becoming hysterical) NO!  NO!  NO!  I don't WANT TO!  No pee-pees!  NO PEEEEE-PEEEEES!  (scooting herself off the potty.)
ME: (putting her back on) You need to get your pee-pees out.  I don't want you to have an accident.
MADELEINE: (pushing me away and whacking me in the face) NO PEEEEEEE-PEEEEEES!  (scooting off the potty.)

At this point I decided it was time to give her some tough love.  I put her underwear on and told her I wasn't going to play games with her, and that I  needed to finish putting the laundry away.  When I was done with the laundry, we would see if she was ready to cooperate and try the potty.  Upstairs I went.

Two minutes later:
JULIA: (running upstairs to Madeleine's room, where I was putting laundry away) Uh... MAMA?
ME: Yes, honey?
JULIA: Uh, Mama, I just heard this, like, CRACKLING sound, and the bathroom floor is ALL WET, and I think Madeleine might have peed on the floor.
ME: Did you ask her if she peed?
JULIA: I did, and she said no.
ME: Well, if she did pee, she's going to have to wait a minute in her wet undies because I need to finish putting the laundry away.  She decided to hit me and not cooperate, so now she'll have to wait until I'm ready to change her.

Julia ran back downstairs, and I hurriedly started stuffing laundry in drawers, so that I could get down and get Madeleine's pee all cleaned up.  While I was finishing my laundry task, I overheard the girls downstairs:

JULIA: (sympathetically) Madeleine, did you pee on the bathroom floor?
MADELEINE: (wailing) YEAHHHH!
JULIA: Okay.  Here.  Let's get your undies off.
MADELEINE: (wailing)

I went downstairs at this point, leaving the laundry unfinished, and found that Julia had stripped Madeleine of her wet underwear, and was in the midst of bringing Madeleine a dry pull-up.  Now, I must point out: part of the distinction that marks a sister-of-the-year is the idea that, despite consequences set by the parent (in this case, that Madeleine would have to wait a minute before I could deal with her wet undies, since she had refused to go on the potty when I asked her to), a champion sister bands together with her sibling out of sympathy and love, even if it slightly undermines the parent's consequence.  I was so touched that Julia was actually handling her sister's sodden underwear in an attempt to ameliorate her sister's sadness that I couldn't complain that she was basically softening my consequence.

Madeleine, for her part, seems to have gotten the message after her accident, and has used the potty without fuss for the rest of the day yesterday, and so far, today.  However, for whatever reason, she has decided that the story is more exciting if she adds extra violence to it.

This morning:
ETHAN: (putting Madeleine on the potty) You need to try the potty, because remember what happened yesterday when Mom tried to put you on the potty and then you peed on the floor?
MADELEINE: Yeah, and I just HIT her.
ETHAN: Yeah, and that's not okay.
MADELEINE: (wisely) Yeah.  And I just KICKED her.
ME: No, you didn't, you goose.  You did hit me, though, and that's not okay.
MADELEINE: (solemnly) Yeah.  And I KICKED you.

Uh-oh.  She's going to be one of those people who totally exaggerates the story afterwards to make herself look extra tough and menacing.

Anyway, what do you think?  Does Julia get your vote?  Sister-of-the-Year, anyone?




3 comments:

  1. She gets my vote!! If this were me and Shannon, Shannon probably would've kicked me and just told me fat people pee in their pants and maybe I should stop eating 2 breakfasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. In fact, a blanket vote for her to not only for being such a good sister, but any other random awards that she may be in the running for! Oh Madeleine, you're not the only two-year old girl whose had an accident on the floor but I am glad you decided to do a better job the rest of the day. XOXOXO, Love, Yiayia

      Delete