Sunday, April 22, 2012

Madeleine-isms

Today started off in typical fashion for Madeleine, with a face full of spit.  Or, as she put it, lamenting despairingly from the couch:

MADELEINE: Mommy!  I have a DROOL!
ME: You have a what?
MADELEINE: (mournfully) A droooool!
ME: A drool?
MADELEINE: (pathetically) Yeeeahh.
ME: Where is your drool?
MADELEINE: (pointing to her chest, just under her pajama shirt) Right THEEEEERE!
ME: Okay.  Here, let me wipe it.

As I wiped her chest and gave her a kiss, I happened to notice that her chin and cheeks were absolutely sodden with spit; however, THOSE drools didn't seem to bother her.  I guess she only gets upset if she gets a drool on some other, non-facial part of her body.

Speaking of her body, Madeleine has a new favorite way to go out into the world: borefoot.  While she will comply with the fact that she needs to wear shoes if we're going into a building, she is definitely partial to going borefoot if we're going out to the backyard, or simply going for a car ride during which she will remain in the car the whole time.  On occasion, however, she'll still try and get away with the borefoot style if someone else is taking her out.  The other morning, as Ethan readied the girls to go get bagels, Madeleine started acting very particular about what was acceptable and what was not acceptable to have on her feet.

ETHAN: Okay, come on, Madeleine, let's get your sandals on.
MADELEINE: (wailing) No, no, I don't want my sandals, I want my CROCS!
ETHAN: Okay, well, where ARE your Crocs?
MADELEINE: I don't know I can find my Crocs!
JULIA: (piping in) Madeleine, I thought I saw them a few weeks ago, but I don't remember where!
ETHAN: Okay, Madeleine, we don't know where your Crocs are, so let's just put your sandals on.
MADELEINE: No, no, no, I DON'T want my sandals!  I want my Crocs!
ETHAN: Well, we can't find your Crocs, and we're in a hurry, so let's just put your sandals on because they're right here.
MADELEINE: (bursting into tears) How bout I can go BOREFOOT!
ETHAN: Wait... what?
ME: (shouting from the other room) No, you can't go barefoot, Madeleine, because that's not allowed in the bagel store.  Ethan, borefoot means barefoot!
MADELEINE: Um, how bout I can wear my sandals?

If only it wouldn't take so long for her to come to that conclusion.

And finally, can we all take a moment and appreciate the eerie, demonic picture she made of Prince Eric from her "Little Mermaid" coloring book?:



I swear, her sense of artistic style scares me sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. I guess it's all about the eyes and mouth to Madeleine! Love, Yiayia

    ReplyDelete