Monday, April 9, 2012

Surprise from Auntie Caitlyn

What could be more exciting for the girls than a surprise visit from Auntie Caitlyn today?? I will note that this visit was not a surprise for me; in fact, I had set it up, since our regular baby-sitter is away this week and I thought some auntie baby-sitting would be a thrill for the kids. However, since we've had enough trouble just going straight to sleep at night, as well as moving our slow-poky bodies out the door to get Julia to school in the mornings, I figured that knowing about their imminent visitor would only make the transitions that much harder. So instead, Madeleine had the delight of seeing Auntie Caitlyn suddenly walk into her Creative Movement class this morning:




Auntie Caitlyn had brought along her camera, and was able to snap pictures throughout Madeleine's class. Since Madeleine basically doesn't ever sit still, most of the pictures came out like this:



However, when Madeleine decided to lay down on one of the mats and take a little nap, Caitlyn was able to capture some blur-free photos:





As Caitlyn and I drove the 3/4 mile from Creative Movement to the Rowe house in our separate cars, Madeleine felt her aunt's absense acutely.

MADELEINE: Where Auntie Caitlyn go???
ME: She's in her car. We'll see her at home in a minute.
MADELEINE: (woefully, eyes filling with tears) But Mommy, I just really MISS her!

It was a long wait, I'll tell you, but about two minutes later they were happily reunited.

Julia's surprise came at the end of her school day, when Madeleine, Caitlyn and I showed up to pick her up. Running to her aunt in utter delight, Julia threw her arms around Caitlyn passionately. Don't worry, she did take a moment to acknowledge me as well, as she thrust her backpack, lunch box and jacket into my arms so that she was free to hold hands with Auntie Caitlyn. So I wasn't completely yesterday's news.

Caitlyn was a huge help to me as I went off to work this afternoon, taking care of the kids in our usual baby-sitter's place. And boy, did she go to town with them. Not only did she buy them both a brand new bottles of bubbles from CVS, but she let them use up the entirety of the bottles out in the back yard, where they blew to their heart's content. I think the following series of photos, which I am stealing from her camera, just about sum up the whole experience:











As I cooked dinner this evening, the girls, who normally beg to watch tv while I'm preparing their food, were still so rambunctious and excited about having their auntie around that we got to experience double gallop time. Both kids running back and forth between the living room and kitchen, stopping just short of the oven so they wouldn't interrupt my cooking. If the look of glee on their faces in this photo doesn't say it all, I'm not sure what will:



I can only hope they've tired themselves out SO thoroughly that they'll both go right to sleep tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Madeleine looks like she stuck her finger in a light socket in the 4th one down. Hahaha.

    Those little stinkers...they might not go right to sleep but I sure as heck will!

    ReplyDelete