Monday, February 6, 2012

Weekend Performances

Yesterday afternoon, Ethan took the girls to hear me perform in a community band concert, and I was thrilled with how quietly and patiently they sat through the performance. Armed with coloring books and crayons, they spent a good deal of the concert coloring quietly, although Julia did come to full attention when the band played a medley of music from "The Wizard of Oz." As a fan of both the movie and the music, she was certainly attracted to that part of the program. Madeleine, on the other hand, seemed somewhat oblivious the whole time, but that's okay, as long as she was quiet. According to Ethan, she looked up at him mid-performance and asked, "Where's Mommy?," noticing for the first time that I was no longer sitting in the audience with them. Julia had better concert etiquette, announcing to me as I re-joined them after the performance, "Mom, you did AWESOME!" I asked her if she enjoyed the "Wizard of Oz" music and she answered affirmatively, so I followed up by asking her if she recognized all the songs. "Well, Mama, I knew some of them, but, I didn't know ALL of them, and you couldn't, like, shout them out to me so I didn't know all of the names of them," she replied.

When we returned home for a cozy, home-cooked family dinner, Madeleine decided it was time to put on her own performance. She was so distracted by her little figurines of "Belle-Belle" (one of her fairies, who somewhat resembles Belle from "Beauty and the Beast," hence the name) and the naked, shorn-headed Ariel Polly Pocket, that she couldn't even focus on her beloved dinner of "eatballs," and instead took her little friends on a wildly exciting adventure up and down her sippy cup:



No comments:

Post a Comment