Sunday, February 5, 2012

Rock Out!

During the last week or so that we had our Corolla, I took to playing, on repeat, an old mix tape that I had made for Ethan in college. The reason for exclusively listening to this mix was two-fold; since Ethan and I had cleaned out the excessive amount of junk in the car, the various other CDs and tapes that had been scattered around had been moved back into the house (along with the portable CD player, as we had only a tape deck in the car.) Secondly, the kids became so deeply fond of this mix tape that it was all they wanted to hear. In fact, since we have been driving in the Kia, which has a CD player but no tape deck, both Julia and Madeleine have expressed their desire to listen to the mix tape, and their disappointment at not being able to hear it. They had learned the names of most of the songs and would request their favorites (and then grow increasingly impatient and irritable as I would press the rewind or fast forward button and repeatedly check to see if we had reached that song or not. Despite my explanations of the differences between CD tracks and cassette tapes, they could not understand why I couldn't just click a button to get to their requested song.) The tape was a mix of music Ethan and I had grown up listening to, including:

-Where Do the Children Play (Cat Stevens)
-Doctor Robert (the Beatles)
-Second-hand News (Fleetwood Mac)
-Richard Cory (Simon & Garfunkel)
-The Kids are Alright (the Who)
-Margarita (Traveling Wilburys)
-Call Me Al (Paul Simon)
-Marrakesh Express (Crosby, Stills & Nash)
-Under African Skies (Paul Simon)
-I Don't Want to Know (Fleetwood Mac)
-Longer Boats (Cat Stevens)
-Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord (Godspell)
-I Want You Back (Jackson 5)
-Sounds of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel)
-You Know My Name (the Beatles)
-Last Night (Traveling Wilburys)
-If You Wanna Be My Lover (Spice Girls)

While the kids were able to pretty accurately name most of the tracks on the cassette, it did take some guesswork at times to understand which particular songs they were asking for. Below you will find some of their misconstrued song titles; see if you can match the kiddie version to the actual title:

-Whicher Cordy (Madeleine's favorite song)
-The Children Can Play
-Are Coming to Win Us
-News Hand
-The Song that Juwia likes (also known as Plepardy the Way of da Loooooord)
-Marraken Spresh
-The Song of Silence
-If You Wanna Be My Mother (I have to say, I'm relieved about this interpretation...)


If you can match all eight, give yourself an A+ for a job well done!

At any rate, this mix tape is so dearly missed that I actually ordered two Simon and Garfunkel CDs yesterday, so that Madeleine can continue to listen to her beloved "Whicher Cordy." Meanwhile, we have been making do with our CD of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," which allows Julia to hear another of her favorite pop songs, "Lizzie in the Sky With Diamonds."

1 comment: