Sunday, February 19, 2012

Another Church Adventure

At church today, the kids were on Sunday school vacation (thanks to it being the start of school vacation week all across Massachusetts), so not only did I have my impish little Madeleine up in the choir loft with me, but I also got to bring Julia up there. Thankfully, Julia spent her time quietly coloring, looking through books, or listening to the service, not causing any distractions. Madeleine spent a fair amount of time quietly coloring as well, although she did feel the need to have some loud vocal outbursts like, "Are you KIDDING me?" and "Mommy, I see a JESUS ON THE CEILING!" Add to that her whacking Julia on the head with a Polly Pocket because Julia dared to look through a book that Madeleine wanted, or her opening the door to the storage closet and going inside to explore, and she was still active enough to keep me busy. However, all in all, the girls really enjoyed getting to play together up in the choir loft today, and Julia was so delighted by the whole experience that as she skipped to the car afterwards, she felt the need to express her heart full of joy to me.

JULIA: Mama, did you know that when we were in church, I thought I smelled your FAVORITE kind of pumpkin?
ME: (racking my brain... did she smell the incense? The pumpkin bread I had packed in tupperware for the choir coffee hour? Someone's perfume?) Uh, maybe you were smelling my pumpkin bread.
JULIA: Well, Mama, I think that maybe I was just SO HAPPY to be up with you in the choir loft that I thought I smelled it. Because, Mama, I was just so COMFORTABLE laying on the floor and coloring!

To top it all off, we got to drive home listening to the newly-received Simon & Garfunkel CD that I ordered, hearing many of Madeleine's favorites: "Whicher Cordy," "Song of Silence," "Kappy's Song," and "The Island."

No comments:

Post a Comment