Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Julia Says...

Some of Julia's random comments throughout the day today:

ME: (pulling the car into the driveway) Okay, girls, we're home. Let's get inside and get Madeleine to nap.
JULIA: Mama, I think I know what "go out of business" means.
ME: What does it mean?
JULIA: Well, like, the person who runs the store has SO many customers coming in and they have to pay all those people so much money that they run out of money and then they don't have any more money to give people so they have to close the shop.

Um... correct, in a way. If by having so many customers you mean not enough customers, and if by paying the customers money you mean paying the suppliers of their product, the owners of their shop building, etc, so much money, then yeah, that's the gist of it.


JULIA: (pausing in her "gallop time") Mama, did you know that I love "Jesus Christ Superstar" SO MUCH that I just keep singing it in my head?
ME: No, but that's great. It's always nice to have music you love in your head.
JULIA: Yeah, and did you know, when I'm galloping? I imagine that my friends and I are all singing, like, Christmas carols, and, like, songs like that together!
ME: Oh, so you imagine singing songs you love with your friends?
JULIA: Yeah, that's what I think about while I'm galloping.

(N.B. "Gallop time" is Julia's routine practice of galloping back and forth between the living room window and the far kitchen wall, crossing through the dining room along the way. She used to call it her "tiptoe time," but I finally had to ask her who she was kidding pretending that what she was doing was "tiptoeing.")


ME: (singing, practicing my chorus music)
JULIA: Mama, do you know what I'm pretending with my baby dolls?
ME: (in between musical phrases) What?
JULIA: That if you have a NEW FOOD, you just have to try it. Because if you try it, you'll realize it's really much better, because then you get to do fun things after, like, you know, have snack and things like that.
ME: Oh, that's a great game to play. Just like in real life you should always try things.
JULIA: Yeah, because, like, the dolls have to realize that if they don't try it, they'll have a WORSER time, because they'll, like, just be sitting there forever, having to just eat one little bit and taking forever to finish it.

Hmm. Julia was forbidden snack yesterday after throwing a fit because I *gasp*! God forbid! - gave her fat free yogurt instead of whole milk yogurt. She refused to even try a bite and had a complete contrary (as in "THIS IS NOT A LIVING ROOM!) freak-out about it. I wonder if her pretend play today was at all influenced by true life experiences...

2 comments:

  1. Did she have a WORSER time because she refused to try the fat free yogurt?

    Also Courtney - she pretends her friends are singing Christmas carols in her head during gallop time?! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. What. A. Weirdo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually maybe I take that back because if Julia decides to go back through the blog when she gets older and sees her Auntie Cait calling her a weirdo it might give her a complex. I take it back Julia - I love you!

    ReplyDelete