Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Piano-playing and bracelet-wearing

I don't know whether it's because of my recent student recital, or just a sudden new desire, but lately Julia has been begging me to teach her how to play the piano. I finally got a chance to sit down with her, and yesterday we had our first official piano lesson:




I'm guessing that either a) opening her mouth while she reads the music somehow helps with her concentration, or b) she is so used to seeing Ethan and I sing while accompanying ourselves at the piano that she assumes the proper way to play the piano is with mouth wide open.

Unsurprisingly, she took to the piano with genuine delight and interest; however, I wasn't quite prepared for how much interest she would truly show. I'm well aware that it could just be the thrill of a new skill and it may wear off before long, but she has probably sat down to practice about five or six times today, going over everything we had done in yesterday's lesson. She seems to be feeling pretty confident about her increasing familiarity with and ability to play the music, because after asking me if she sounded even better today than she did yesterday, she then asked, "Uh, Mom, so do you think I'm better than you now?"

Here is a video I took during one of her practice sessions today; we had worked on learning the notes B, C and D, so in this song she plays some of those notes. I'm sure that after hearing the song you will want to know which striking composer is behind this astonishing masterpiece. I must humbly take all the credit.



Madeleine, meanwhile, has been busy revolutionizing the fashion industry with her beaded headbands-turned bracelets:



As she said, after putting them on, "Bracelets! It's so pretty!"

No comments:

Post a Comment