Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I'm Colorin' A PAPEW!

Yesterday Madeleine impressed the pants off me with her grasp of the English language. "Up you go!" I announced, heading upstairs to put her to nap. "Up I go!" Madeleine responded brightly. As I sat there marveling over her intelligence, I temporarily lost sight of the fact that just because she seems to have great verbal acuity does not mean she has suddenly become wise enough to understand that it's utterly gross to pull an apple core out of the garbage and then walk around taking bites of it, delightedly exclaiming "Mmmm! Apple!" Or that she has finally figured out that coloring on paper means literally coloring on a piece of paper. Her latest trend of coloring on everything in sight - except for paper - continues, yet she insists on gleefully exclaiming, "I'm colorin' a PAPEW!" as she sits drawing on her breakfast plate. Or on the built-in dining room drawers. Or on the dishwasher. Or on my exercise ball. In fact, it doesn't really matter how remote the object is from an actual piece of paper; she will undoubtedly declare "I'm colorin' a PAPEW!" so long as she's coloring on anything but paper. I don't know if she is simply reciting the rule ("No no color on your cheese! You color on the PAPER!") as she sits there knowingly defying it, or if she believes paper to be an interchangeable term for whatever object her marker happens to be drawing on. Here, on this video, she displays some of her artwork:

No comments:

Post a Comment