Monday, October 4, 2010

Bedtime for Frances

It appears that nothing is more exciting for a nearly 4 year old child than a bunch of new 1-year old toys in the house. Julia has had her hands on Madeleine's new toys more than Madeleine herself has, even taking it upon herself to give Madeleine's new baby doll a name (Baby Nurky.) Madeleine, at least, has gotten the chance to enjoy her play phone and remote, putting both up to her ear and saying "O?"

Yia-yia was kind enough to bring a few gifts for Julia as well, and despite Julia's interest in her sister's loot, she is definitely excited about one of the books Yia-yia brought, Bedtime for Frances. The subject matter of this book is too appropriate, dealing with Frances's imagination running away with itself at night in her bedroom. At one point, Frances is scared that the crack in her ceiling might be harboring all kinds of bugs, which really hits home for Julia, who also has a crack in her ceiling. I guess she's tougher about it than Frances, though, as evidenced by this exchange we had:

JULIA: Mama, when Yia-yia comes over again, I'll tell her I'm not scared of my crack, and that I just named it Cracky.
ME: Yia-yia will be so proud that you're not scared of your crack.
JULIA: Yeah. I gave birth to my crack.
ME: You gave birth to your crack!?
JULIA: NOOOO! Just kidding!

2 comments:

  1. Madeleine's Birthday party was lots of fun for almost all of us. Except, poor Clara! I am glad that Julia can empathize with Frances! I always liked the way Russell Hoban (the author) was able to relate to children in his many Frances tales. It is also one of Yiayia's favorite books as well as the many, many children I've read it to, including my own! I just looked it up and now they have a movie of it! [Shocked].

    I am also glad Madeleine is still working on "o" (hello)and not discovering how to text message yet!
    Love you all! Yiayia

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWEKLFLKAHWEGLKHAWLK$%HLK#$HTLKEHRGLKHAGALEKHTLQK#H$TLKHADVALKHET!!#$J%!@#%

    Wait. Wasn't something else named Cracky once?

    ReplyDelete