Tuesday, September 8, 2015

The Girls Put on a Show

After school today, Julia was quietly reading in her room when Madeleine appeared in the living room, wearing a purple leotard and cat ears, ready to put on a show for me.

MADELEINE: Okay, Mama, first is the little kids' show, then it's the BIG kids, and you're the judge of the big kids and you have to tell us if we PASS, because we're level NINE!

Before I knew it, Madeleine was thumping around the living room performing some sort of dance/pop song/gymnastics combo for me. 

The noise had soon drawn Julia from her room, and the next thing I knew, I had two performers before me.

JULIA: Wait, um, Mommy, can I do my reading later?  Because I wanna play this with Madeleine.

I guess the leotard and cat ears were just TOO tempting for Julia.  She simply couldn't resist being a part of the whole production.

Act One of the Big Kids began with some synchronized walking and grunting, then Madeleine flew into a reverie of song and dance, ending abruptly when she gracelessly crashed into the heating grate on the living room wall:





Act Two was Julia's show, with lots of one-handed cartwheels and round-offs set to vocal music of Julia's own making:




And then the Grand Finale: both kids singing different made-up songs and flailing about the room, occasionally having some sort of contact with each other:



Woo-hoo!  Congrats, Level Nine Big Kids, on a wonderful performance!

If that's what the big kids perform like, I can't even imagine what the little kids did.

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy, this performance really brought back memories of all the Elf girls performances, some of which are still preserved on tape! Bravo, girls. Courtney, your final applause sounds just like mine used to! XOXO

    ReplyDelete