Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Carols and Chatter Time

Christmas carols abound in the Rowe household right now, with both girls singing while in the shower, while walking to school, while pretending to ice skate on the living room rug, and what not.  I myself love carols, but I wondered what it is that the girls so enjoy.

ME: Julia, what do you love so much about Christmas carols?
JULIA: They're just so LOVELY, and THOUGHTFUL!
ME: Oh.  I love them because they just really get me into the Christmas spirit.
JULIA: (exasperated) Mom!  That's what I MEANT!

Madeleine gave a whole performance today while pretending to be the Ice Witch from Dora's Skating Adventure:




And, of course, Christmas carols have been the requested lullaby for both girls at bedtime. 

Speaking of bedtime... Madeleine has always enjoyed bedtime snuggles, during which she typically conks out within a matter of minutes.  However, I think this tradition is not long for this household, as the conking out is taking longer and longer and the need to babble is increasing. 

Tonight was really a lost cause.

Madeleine had trouble keeping quiet for even a few moments.  We got onto the topic of "good listening," which has been a problem with both girls the past few days (probably because they're not going to sleep when they should be and they're cranky!)

ME: Is it hard sometimes to be a good listener?
MADELEINE: Yes.  But...Julia has a hard time being a good listener when she has a PLAY-DATE.
ME: Well, when do you have a hard time being a good listener?  When you really, really want to do the thing that I said you can't do?
MADELEINE: Um, yes.  But Mom?  Also, it's hard to be a good listener when you're being in TIME-OUT.
ME: I know, honey. 
MADELEINE: Because.  Mom.  How would YOU feel if I was the mom and YOU were my daughter and I put YOU in a time out??

Well, Madeleine.  I appreciate the attempt at teaching empathy here.  Clearly, she pays attention to the fact that I frequently try to make her see and understand how her behaviors might make another person feel.  On the other hand, time-outs are kind of essential if a parent wants to ensure his or her child does not turn out to be a raging sociopath.

ME: Well, honey, what do you think would happen if a mommy never put her child in time-out for hitting or biting?  Would the child ever learn that those things are not okay?
MADELEINE: (bursting into song) Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer...
ME: And then what would happen when that child went to school and started hitting or biting other kids, or the teachers?
MADELEINE: Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the waaaaay... 

At any rate, the good listener discussion was going on way too long, and obviously losing her interest, so I told Madeleine it was time to be quiet and get settled.

And this was Madeleine's version of getting settled.

MADELEINE: (yawning and lying still for a moment) Mom?  Do you remember this: "Easy peasy...easy measy...easy...uh, just take that as a YES!"  From Pinkie Pie on "My Little Pony?"
ME: Honey, it's time to get settled and go to sleep.
MADELEINE: Mom?  But why does Julia want her ALONE time when she has a play-date?
ME: Madeleine.  No more talking.
MADELEINE: (whispering something over and over again) Mom?  Do you NOT hear me now?
ME: I hear you.  You need to be quiet and go to sleep.
MADELEINE: (whispering even quieter) Mom?  NOW do you hear me?
ME: Madeleine.  I'm gonna have to go now.
MADELEINE: Stay!  Please, Mama, can you stay?
ME: Are you going to be quiet and go to sleep?
MADELEINE: (holding her stuffed Jesus' leg up in the air) Only if you can guess HOW high I'm holding this LEG up!
ME: Okay.   I'm gonna go.  You're not settling down.
MADELEINE: (solemn and earnest) But Mom?  Could this be my LAST CHANCE about being quiet?
ME: Okay.

Silence ensued, Madeleine yawned a few times, fluttered her eyelids, and seemed genuinely sleepy.  She stayed still and snuggled up against me.  I admired her for taking her last chance to heart.

And then:

MADELEINE: Mom?  When I'm ZERO, it will...it will...it will be a LONG time until I'm four.

Last chance FAIL.  I made my exit, and with any luck, without a companion to yap at, hopefully Madeleine will be asleep soon.

And if she really needs someone to talk at, she's still got her stuffed Jesus.

1 comment: