Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Barbies and Polly Pockets Pretend Play

Madeleine is playing a very weird Barbie game right now.  Rapunzel is lying on the table, and Merida had been there too, but now Merida is back at the Barbie house, discussing important matters with the Barbie doll named Grace.

GRACE: What are you doing?
MERIDA: Getting dressed.
GRACE: But Merida-
MERIDA: Do you know who I really am?  SIRIUS BLACK!  BAH!
GRACE: Quick, go downstairs and put on a black sweater.
MERIDA: Because Rapunzel thinks I'm Sirius Black!
GRACE: Rapunzel?
MERIDA: Because...she saw that I was Sirius Black!
GRACE: (stripping down naked) Okay, I'm gonna take a shower.
MERIDA: (taking Barbie's discarded dress) I can't figure out how to get this on.
MADELEINE: (as narrator) So...she ASKED her mom, who was typing on her computer...(as herself) Mom?  Can you get this on for me please?

Once she was clothed in Grace's dress, Merida returned to the dining room table to hang out with Rapunzel.

RAPUNZEL: You don't look like Sirius Black.  You look like a summer girl.
MERIDA: I am SIRIUS BLACK!
RAPUNZEL: Okay, Sirius Black, just lay down with me.

At this point, the two Barbies laid down side by side on the table and the focus of the game turned to some Polly Pockets (who also happened to be on the table, having not been cleaned up from an EARLIER pretend-play game.)

Rapunzel and Sirius Black laying down together.  (In the background are the Polly Pockets, who are about to get REALLY important.)


POLLY POCKET 1: Okay, rise and shine.  Niiiice and shiny with me.  Oh!  My hat!  Would you excuse me?  (fixing her hat, then bursting into song) Nice and dry, from the rain and sun, nice and dryyyy, from the rain and sun.
POLLY POCKET 2: Take off that hat!
POLLY POCKET 1: (taking off her hat while continuing to sing) Nice and dryyyyy...
POLLY POCKET 2: Put that back ON!
POLLY POCKET 1: (re-donning her hat, singing still) Nice and dryyyy, nice and dryyyyy, from the rain and suuuun, nice and dryyyy...I always run, and I always walk, a-a-a-and as I saw a LOOOOT, I would find a JOT, and sit on it QUICK, gonna find out who's naughty or nice, Santa Claus is coming to towwwwn! 

Next thing I knew, Polly Pocket 1 was kicking figurines like Jasmine and Raja and Pinkie Pie in the face, and her song took on a totally different character.

POLLY POCKET 1: (kicking various figurines in the face while singing) I push one out, because it's bein' NAUGHTY.  I push TWO out.  I push one out, and then it goes one, two, three, four.  Yes yeees!  I push 'em out!  I fall down!  Rapunzel, heeelps.  Rapunzel heeelps me get uuuup.  She holds on tiiiiiight.  She swiiiings up, she does that amazin' thing, oh yeaaaaah! 

Rapunzel was temporarily resurrected from her resting place to save the Polly Pocket who fell to the ground, then went back to sleep with Sirius Black.

And now things have gotten REALLY chaotic, as both girls are concurrently playing Polly Pockets and singing different, independently made-up songs:







I think I'm going to stop typing at my keyboard and find a quiet place in the other room...

2 comments: