Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Stuff Madeleine Says


Various conversations with Madeleine about highly important topics:

Snuggling in her bed last night after singing her lullaby:
MADELEINE: Mama?  Why do the people on the tv say that they have things that are ELECTRIC that kids can touch?
ME: Uh...I don't know.  What kinds of things are you talking about?
MADELEINE: Well Mama.  Kids can't touch ELECTRIC.  But why shouldn't kids TOUCH electric?
ME: Well, because electricity can cause a shock.  Or it can burn you.
MADELEINE: Well Mama.  The things that are on tv that are lights on pillows and blankets, I think I RATHER wouldn't...Mama, I DOUBT that I wouldn't want them on my WISH LIST.
ME: You wouldn't, huh?
MADELEINE: Yeah.  I DOUBT that I wouldn't WANT them.

Points on the genius scale for using the words "rather" and "doubt" in conversation.
Subtract genius points for using them with incorrect grammar.

Come on, Madeleine.  Live up to your potential, here.

Driving to preschool this morning:
MADELEINE: Mama?  Why do you STINK at driving?
ME: Oh.  Uh.  I don't stink at driving.  I'm a pretty good driver.  Why?  Who says I stink?
MADELEINE: Um...DADDY.
ME: Oh.  Well, Daddy's a really, really GREAT driver, so I'm definitely not as good as him.
MADELEINE: I wonder WHY Daddy thinks you STINK at driving?

Gotta love the vote of confidence my kids are always giving me.


Getting (re)dressed after pooping on the potty:
MADELEINE: Mama?  Can I not wear any tights?
ME: Uh, okay.
MADELEINE: Because...I'm getting SICK of wearing tights.
ME: Okay.

I would have left it at that, but Madeleine just *had* to take her excuse farther:

MADELEINE: Mama?  We're all ALLERGIC to tights.
ME: No, honey, we're not allergic.
MADELEINE: Yes we are!  I'm ALLERGIC to tights.
JULIA: (with bored contempt) Madeleine, you can't be ALLERGIC to clothes, otherwise you couldn't WEAR anything.


And finally:
Flipping through "Dora's Halloween Adventure" and making up her own words:
MADELEINE: Mama?  What's THAT?  (pointing to Frankenstein)
ME: That's Frankenstein.
MADELEINE: (looking at me skeptically)
ME: His name is Frankenstein.  He's a kind of monster.
MADELEINE: Well Mama.  He's really a HUNGER.
ME: He's a hunger??
MADELEINE: Yeah.
ME: Madeleine, do you mean an OGRE?
MADELEINE: Oh.  Yeah.  (lifting the Frankenstein flap) Ogre Daaaaaaay!

Frankenstein the Hunger


I doubt that I wouldn't want Frankenstein the Hunger trick-or-treating at my house on Ogre Day.

2 comments:

  1. Because there's a commercial on the DVR'ed My Little Ponies about pillows and blankets that have colored lights in them. And I said I would hate to sleep on something that had colored lights shining through it. And that it seems really dangerous and like it could cause a fire. And Madeleine said it's on her wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I doubt that I wouldn't want to have Ethan drive me because I'd rather wouldn't want a stinky driver. Those conversations are keepers! Love you all! Yiayia

      Delete