Sunday, May 26, 2013

Julia's Music Opinions and More

Because Julia has a natural ability to carry a tune, and because she has lived all her life hearing her singer parents practicing music and performing with choirs, she is well aware of what constitutes a strong singing voice and what constitutes a less than capable voice.  Therefore, poor little Berrykin on today's episode of "Strawberry Shortcake" wound up being subject to Julia's critique.

JULIA: Mama, Daddy was telling me about how SOME people can't repeat the thing they hear, and, like, Cherry Jam said "can you sing this?" and she sang this really low note, and Berrykin sang "AAAAAHHH!" like, really high, so, do you think he's really a very good singer?
ME: No, sounds like he isn't.
JULIA: Yeah, so, like, Mama, it sounds like he kind of sings, like, OUT of the LINES a lot.

I applaud her use of synesthesia here in describing the sound of an out-of-tune singer as if he's an artist who is incapable of staying in the lines of a coloring book picture.  Very poetic, Julia!

Not only is Julia able to discern the difference between a good and poor singer, but she also waxed sentimental on the subject of Christmas music today as we drove home from church.  We were listening to our CD of "Muppets" greatest hits, and one of the songs from "Muppets Christmas Carol" came on.  Julia was immediately delighted, seeing as she is still somewhat INSESSED with that movie.

JULIA: Mama?  Do some Christmas songs ever give you, like, a really, really HAPPY feeling in your heart when you hear them?
ME: Definitely!  Sometimes when I hear Christmas music that I love, I feel like my heart might burst.
JULIA: Yeah, that's how this song makes me feel, I think because, like, I'm remembering the FEELING of Christmas and, like, how FUN it was.
ME: I know what you mean.  Sometimes when I hear my favorite Christmas music, I feel a mix of peace, and joy, and excitement in my heart.
JULIA: Yeah.  Like, right now when I'm hearing this, I almost feel like I'm gonna start crying HAPPY tears!

Who would have thought Kermit the Frog singing "One More Sleep 'Til Christmas" would be the first song to evoke such deep emotion out of Julia?  I guess his throaty, gulping voice really gets to her.

Something that made ME want to cry happy tears was the little inscription I read on the back of her Sunday School art project.  The front is an icon of Jesus and the Paralytic, which she colored:



On the back, she had written this:


Meanwhile, here is what Madeleine wrote on the back of her own icon:
ME: Madeleine, I love it!  You wrote your name so nicely!
MADELEINE: Well Mama.  Is it OKAY that I made so many LINES on my "L" and "E" and "I"?
ME: Of course it is!  And tell me (pointing to the letters under the hearts)  What were you trying to write here?
MADELEINE: Uh...uh...well, I was trying to write "I was WALKING down the HILL."  Because...that's what they're doing.  They're walking down a hill.

Good old Madeleine.  She always makes SO much sense.
Hey, you know, Jesus DID tell the Paralytic to rise, take up his pallet and walk.  So who knows, maybe they DID walk down a hill together.

Glad to see that Madeleine is with the program, as always.

AND, speaking of Madeleine, she was DEEP into the doghouse last night after she got over-excited with her goofing around and bit Ethan in an attempt to be silly.  After he reprimanded her and put her in time-out, they were able to make up with each other, but I was still not happy with the fact that she had bitten her dad.  As I brought her up to bed, I gave her an interrogation.

ME: Madeleine, WHY did you ever think it was okay to bite Daddy?
MADELEINE: Because...I though it would make him feel really, really, really, really, really HAPPY.

Like I said above, she always makes so much sense.

A moment later, Ethan popped his head in to say good-night.

ETHAN: Good-night, Madeleine.
MADELEINE: Good-night, Daddy.  I love you.
ETHAN: I love you too.  (closing the door)
MADELEINE: (goofily) I fart you!
ME: Madeleine Emilia!
MADELEINE: (wide-eyed and innocent) What Mama?
ME: It's NOT okay to say "I fart you."
MADELEINE: (bewildered) But WHY?
ME: Do you know what "fart" means?
MADELEINE: No.  What DOES it?

(I should point out that we have always used the euphemism "toot" in our household, and I realized at this moment that Madeleine was likely attempting to be silly and say "I fart you" rather than "I heart you," which is something Julia is big into saying lately, thanks to her "I heart belugas" t-shirt.)

ME: "Fart" means "toot."  Would you say "I toot you" to someone?
MADELEINE: No!  (beginning to giggle, then catching herself, and instead laying still in her bed with her face frozen into a big goofy smile)
ME: Okay.  Thank you.
MADELEINE: (still trying to control herself, but ultimately losing it and beginning to giggle with abandon.)
ME: What's so funny?
MADELEINE: (giggling and giggling) I don't know!  (looking sheepish, but continuing to giggle) Uh...the THING that I SAID...(giggle, giggle, giggle, giggle.)

Well, at least she didn't repeat the THING that she SAID.  I can't really blame her for the giggling.  Potty talk is HILARIOUS to both my girls right now.  And all their friends.  And all children I have ever met.

And on that note, I'm off to go walk down the hill.  I fart you, blog readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment