Monday, May 20, 2013

School Day Fun

Today was a SUPER EXCITING school day for both girls.  For Julia, it was the start of the 26 day count-down to the end of school, with each of the 26 days representing a letter of the alphabet and a fun activity based on that letter.

To kick things off, the kids got to bring in stuffed animals for A(nimal) Day!:

Julia brought in two of her most beloved animals: Magic, her Beanie Baby unicorn, and Poufy, her orca whale from Atlanta.  The kindergarten class got to have an "animal share" in which they went around the circle showing off their animals and giving a few details about their special "pets."  WHAT an exciting kindergarten day.

Madeleine was thrilled, herself, by the fact that she got to go to her own school today, despite it not being a regular school day for her preschool class.  Today she got to take part in orientation for next year's class, which meant spending an hour at her school doing free play, circle and story time, having snack, and playing out on the playground.  Despite the fact that I had explained the concept of a school orientation, Madeleine became convinced, in her own mind, that she had experienced an "early release day."  Desperate to be just like Julia, who has early release days once a month, Madeleine left the orientation overjoyed over the idea that she had finally had her OWN early release day.  "Mama!  I can't believe I had an EARLY RELEASE DAY!  Just like JULIA!"

In fact, the whole time we walked to Julia's school to pick her up this afternoon, Madeleine repeatedly told me, "When I see Julia, I'm gonna tell her that I had my OWN early release day!"  And sure enough, once Julia was dismissed out the back school doors, Madeleine went eagerly running towards her, shouting delightedly:

"JULIA!  I had my OWN early release-"

Massive face plant.  Two bloodied palms.  One sad girl.

Madeleine eventually managed to recover and was even brave (or foolish?) enough to start running again as we reached the home stretch towards our house.  The weather is so hot and summer-like today that the girls were both lamenting the fact that the town pool doesn't open for another month.  And that's probably a good thing, since I just sat down today to order bathing suits in their sizes, given that they've both recently gone through huge growth spurts.  Madeleine, in fact, discovered I was looking at suits online, and seeing the display of "on sale" bathing suits across the top bar of the page, began pointing to boys board shorts and asking me to get them for her.

MADELEINE: Oh!  I think I want THOSE shorts!
ME: Honey, those are boys bathing suits.
MADELEINE: Oh.  Well, I'm NOT a boy anymore!

It's a good thing she's not a boy anymore, because Madeleine is emulating her big sister more than ever lately.  As I mentioned in the last post, she seems desperate to have her own sheet music to learn from, and happily, yesterday her desire was fulfilled.  The Sunday school kids were all given sheet music to learn a short hymn that the choir will be singing, and Madeleine took hers home, full of pride.  Furthermore, she has been asking me to sit down with her and sing the music, putting the score out proudly in front of her as we sing.  She even let me videotape her singing this hymn, along with "Christos Anesti," with literally only a TINY smidgen of monkey business:




Bravo, my little monkey!

No comments:

Post a Comment