Saturday, November 3, 2012

Potluck Supper

The girls had a blast at last night's preschool potluck supper.  Although Julia felt compelled to repeatedly announce, "Kindergarten is SO fun!  I wish I was in my kindergarten class at elementary school right now!" throughout dinner, she wound up being won over by her alma mater, declaring to me in the car on the way home, "Mama, I had so much FUN at the potluck supper!"  I can't really blame her.  Whether it was the fact that she got to have mac 'n cheese AND pizza - her two favorite foods - for dinner, or the chance to play with her old beloved dollhouse, or the double dose of dessert she got to eat, OR the musical entertainment I provided for all the kids, there was really a lot for her to enjoy.  Madeleine, too, was blissfully delighting in every aspect of the event, feeling the need to hop up and down in excitement anytime anybody tried to address her:


Both kids loved joining in the songs I led for the music portion of the evening.  Back when Julia was in her first year of preschool, she absolutely refused to sing along with any of the songs, to the bemusement of her teachers.  Madeleine has no such reserve; she jumped right in with reckless abandon.




Julia, like all preschool alumni every year, was clearly pleased to be one of the "big kids" on the rug during music time, helping to sing along to the songs that she and the other alumni all know, but which are new to the current preschool class.  Julia also demonstrated her new kindergarten skill of "whole body listening," sitting criss-cross applesauce, with her hands in her lap, attentively watching me and listening to my instructions:


During our final song, "Baby Shark," I explained which of our fingers would be the various members of baby shark's family.  Holding up my thumb, I explained, "So this is the big brother shark.  How many of you have a big brother?"  A handful of kids raised their hands, and just as I was about to start singing, Madeleine shot her hand up, exclaiming, "I do!"

ME: You do, huh?  You have a big brother?
MADELEINE: Uh-huh!
ME: No.  You don't.

When the brother verse had been sung, I then held up my pointer finger, explaining that this was big sister shark.  After I asked the kids if anyone has a big sister, another handful of hands went up.  Madeleine's hand, however, was not one of them.  She sat there stoically, gazing around at the other kids on the rug.  No wonder she can't keep straight whether we're boys or girls.

All in all, the musical entertainment was a big success, and a lot of fun for the kids.  I'm certainly not surprised that my kids enjoyed it; singing seems to occupy pretty much ANY activity they do, all the live-long day.

 For example:



Circus, I love you baaaaaaabe!

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHA. That's quite a song they've got there. I don't know how the remembered all the lyrics!

    And I have no words for Madeleine once again. Sorry Julia, I guess you're a boy now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a boy yesterday. I ate golben grahams.

    ReplyDelete