Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Ampires

The girls have been pretty thrilled that Season 3 of My Little Pony has started, and EXTRA thrilled that Ethan and I recorded the first two episodes for them to watch whenever they like.  However, something about these first two episodes, which take place in the "Crystal Kingdom," requires Madeleine to burrow under the big fleece blanket we keep on our couch.  I thought at first she might be cold, but it turns out that instead she is scared of something that is inexplicable to Julia and I.

ME: Madeleine, why are you all bundled up in the blanket?  Are you cold?
MADELEINE: Mommy!  I'm SCARED!
ME: What are you scared of?
MADELEINE: An ampire!
ME: A vampire?  Why, is there a vampire in My Little Pony?
JULIA: Madeleine, it's NOT a vampire.
ME: What vampire, Madeleine?
MADELEINE: No, an AMPIRE.
ME: An ampire?  What's an ampire?
JULIA: Mama, "It" in the Crystal Kingdom is what she's scared of.
ME: But do they call "It" an ampire?
JULIA: No!
ME: Madeleine, what is the ampire?
MADELEINE: No, an AMPIRE!
ME: But is the ampire an animal?
MADELEINE: No!  It's an AMPIRE.
ME: But what is an ampire?
JULIA: She means VAMPIRE, Mama.
MADELEINE: No, an AMPIRE.
ME: Julia, is there a vampire in the My Little Pony?
JULIA: No!
MADELEINE: No, it's an AMPIRE.
ME: But what is an ampire?
MADELEINE: In the CRYSTAL!
JULIA: You mean you're scared of the Crystal King?
MADELEINE: No, the AMPIRE!

It wasn't until later this evening that I realized what she must be thinking of.  The episodes 1-2 take place in the Crystal Empire, where lots of ominous and dastardly things are set to occur (but are luckily thwarted by the valiant ponies.)  Therefore, the "ampire" that Madeleine is so scared of is not a vampire, but an EMPIRE.  Julia and I were waaaaaay off base with the whole vampire line of reasoning.  Clearly Madeleine is going to be more of a "Star Wars" fan than a "True Blood" fan when it comes to villians.

Before the "empire" thing dawned on me, I had just resolved that I would never truly understand what she was talking about.  Because, let's face it: a lot of what Madeleine says doesn't make any sort of reasonable sense.  I mean, just earlier today she was rejoicing to me about getting rid of what I'm guessing was a hangnail, proclaiming somewhat incomprehensibly:

"Mom?  There was a nail on my skin and it falled off all by ITSELF!  That's kind of a COOL.  I had imagination that it fell off again by itself.  It must be a GENIUS!"

Speaking of incomprehensible, Julia apparently walked in her sleep last night down to the toilet after having a bad dream.  All Ethan and I knew was that Julia was suddenly standing in our bedroom whimpering and unable to respond to anything we said to her.  Once she finally started to say something, I think she fully woke herself up, because the illogic nature of what she was telling us suddenly struck her and she broke into a laugh part-way through her sentence.

ETHAN: Julia?  Julia?  What's the matter?
JULIA: (whimpering and standing dumbly beside our bed.)
ETHAN: (picking Julia up) What is it, honey?  What's wrong?
ME: Julia, did something happen?
JULIA: I saw you guys had some wrapping paper, and I was trying to find you. (breaking into a bashful smile and beginning to giggle.)

This morning she couldn't remember much of our exchange, although she did remember having been upset and confused.  "Mama?  Last night, before I went to get you and Daddy, all of a sudden I realized I was downstairs and I was crying and I didn't even know why.  I was just suddenly sitting on the toilet and I was crying and I didn't even KNOW what was wrong."

All I can say is that I'm glad she sleep-walked to the actual toilet this time rather than pulling down her pants and aiming her bare bum into our laundry basket like the last time she was somnambulant.




No comments:

Post a Comment