Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day

The public schools are closed today because of Election Day, but we still got to take a family trip to one of the nearby elementary schools so that Ethan and I could cast our votes.  It turns out that the kids at Julia's school had had a chance to vote this week, as well, though not for actual people.  Instead, the kids got to choose between elephants and donkeys.

ME: And what did you pick, Julia?
JULIA: (brightly) Elephant!

Uh-oh.  This is the daughter of two raving liberals here, and she voted for the GOP icon?  I guess we're not brain-washing her well enough. 

ME: Oh.  Okay.  Did you know that Barack Obama is a donkey?
JULIA: Huh?  Did you say Barack Obama is a DONKEY?!?

I then attempted to launch into an explanation of the two main political parties and their respective symbols, which I'm pretty sure made absolutely no sense to Julia.  After I had finished, she sat in silence a moment, then explained herself.

JULIA: Well, Mama, I just picked elephants because I really LIKE elephants, but for the real thing I'll vote for whoever YOU vote for.

Next explanation: kids don't actually get to vote and her school election actually doesn't matter towards the presidential race.  Why did I even open my mouth in the first place?  In all honesty, I hope more than anything that my children develop their own independent minds, and do not decide to make choices simply because they have been brain-washed by Ethan and I, so even if Julia, as an adult, is wildly opposed to any of the political views I hold, I will be proud of her for making whatever choices she makes.  And if she wants to vote for an ACTUAL elephant as a write-in candidate, well, hey, all the power to her!

Madeleine still had preschool, despite Julia being off for the day, so Julia got to experience the utter boredom of being the only kid home while her play-mate is at school.  Once Madeleine got home, the kids were wild with excitement about playing together; in fact, I had to ban a few of their rampantly enthusiastic games, such as indoor beach volleyball, but I did allow them to boogie down singing one of Julia's latest original compositions.  I even got to shoot the music video to this new song, "You've Got Rehearsal Every Single Day":



Later in the afternoon, the wild and crazy energy amped up even more, as Julia had a friend over for a play-date.  Both my girls and Julia's friend were so excited to play that it was a stomp-fest of marching feet and a volcanic eruption of toys all over the place.  Sadly for Madeleine, the older girls eventually decided to get some alone time playing up in Julia's bedroom.  I had thought that putting a "Dora the Explorer" on for Madeleine would keep her occupied with me while Julia and her friend played, but not even Dora could soothe Madeleine's broken heart.

MADELEINE: (wailing) Mommy!  I want to go play up in Juliaaaaaaa's room!
ME: Well, honey, I think Julia wants a little alone time with her friend.
MADELEINE: Well, Julia wants me to come up too, because (bursting into sobs) she's a NICE sisteeeeeeer!

And a nice sister she is.  Julia and her friend decided to come back downstairs so that Madeleine didn't have to miss out on the action.  Therefore, neither did I, and I got to overhear Julia's pretend play Little People game with her friend.

FRIEND: Okay, how about the school bus comes to this house first?
JULIA: Well, my people just don't go to school, because they DROPPED OUT, and they're supposed to go but they just don't, so they just have PLAY-DATES all day.

Uh...that's great, Julia.  Advocate the hedonistic lifestyle to all your impressionable little friends.

The game got even better when Julia decided to start "talking" one of the Little People mommies:

JULIA: I'm just such a HORRIBLE mother, because I'm a TEENAGE mother.

Oh my Lord.  I don't even know where she's getting these ideas, but it's really great that she has decided to broadcast them in front of other friends.  I mean, couldn't the teenage mother at least TRY not to be a horrible mother?  At the bare minimum, she could send her kids to school instead of letting them drop out and have play-dates all day.  Come on, teenage mother.  Shoot for the stars!  After all, you've got a BABY, you've got a CRADLE, you've got REHEARSAL EVERY SINGLE DAYAYAYAY!


2 comments:

  1. Don't worry Julia, if your parents aren't effectively brainwashing you, I'm sure your auntie can lend a helping hand! Especially considering you're apparently a southern redneck now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha Courtney oh my gosh! No more letting her skip school and watch 16 and Pregnant all day long any more! Time to start setting an example!!

    ReplyDelete